26 | Off To The Races

NOVALIE

          I groaned and jolted back to consciousness, attempting to cough but only managing to wince as my tender throat constricted. Bleary eyes moved across the familiar room and landed on a clock that read ten-thirty.

It was morning, later than I would usually wake. The window outside was open, and I briefly noticed that the sky was clear, all signs of last night's passing storm now gone.

An arm went up to my forehead as I let out a large sigh: No, this isn't a hangover—but an allergic reaction aftermath.

A knock on the door, followed by a recognizably posh voice, interrupted my peace.

"I would simply walk in, although your friends would declare me a pervert and scatter my remains onto the driveway."

Connie?

I jumped out of bed, silently thanking Fable for sacrificing her's last night, and rushed to the entrance. The unexpected sight that greeted me was oddly comforting, seeing a grouchy male in fancy civilian clothes. This is what Connie looked like before entering the academy, and prior to all the nonsense that followed our enrollment.

Instead of asking to come in he merely brushed past, closing the door while surveying my messy state, eyes scanning up and down placidly. "Do you want to put on pants or...?"

I frowned in confusion and looked at my legs, only to grab a nearby sheet with a yelp. "Turn around!"

"You should be more careful, what if I was someone else?" Connie disregarded my panic, he also respectfully didn't make any motion to ogle. "Relax, it's nothing I haven't seen before."

"Any other would have the integrity to look away!" I scrambled to my backpack and grabbed a pair of sweats, trying to juggle the article of clothing and my makeshift modesty shield. It was then that Connie purposely stepped on the sheet, causing me to expose myself and practically burn from embarrassment.

The sadist snickered.

"CONNIE!"

"Why is there so much yelling?"

My frazzled gaze connected with cerulean blue, the owner only responding with a blink as he too gazed at decorative silk underwear, lace forming around full hips in a flattering fashion.

That looked like ogling.

"BOTH OF YOU, OUT!"

Connie didn't look at all bothered by my screeching, it was Lyric who frantically grabbed his arm and dragged them out of the room. They were heard conversing behind the door, and I tried to ignore it as I quickly pulled sweatpants over my bare legs. Wild hair was patted down as I exited, storming past the two dunderheads and not bothering to give them my time of day.

"Nova Scotia, wait!" The melodic voice drifted behind as I stormed down the stairs. "I didn't mean the long look... well, I admit I'm not one who'd pass an opportunity to admire a beautiful woman—"

His sentence was cut off with a pained noise, and I could only assume Connie hit him. They were catching up from behind as I landed on the last flight, refusing to acknowledge them, completely embarrassed by the recent event.

Of course Faisal chose to pack the most extravagant intimates!

I can't really complain though, not when secretly adoring classically feminine styles—and expensive items that are given for free, even if it was gifted by a grown man.

I could already feel Connie's questioning echo at that previous thought. 'Who would have guessed you were a blushing maiden, especially with your brutish exterior.'