17 | Epiphanies

I didn't feel like attending dinner after the weird encounter with my past bully, sauntering down random hallways with no real destination.

It was then that Connie bumped into me.

"Is spending time with Mishal really that headache inducing to you?"

"Whaddya' mean?" I gave the unicorn an odd look as we headed further down the long corridor.

Violet eyes narrowed as I recalled the memory of Adam, understanding suddenly dawning on his face. "You weren't with the phoenix."

"No, I wasn't." I sighed as we non-verbally changed the topic.

Connie seemed uncharacteristically bothered. "He bullied you before."

"Yessir, dunked my head in the bathtub and almost drowned me once."

"What did the bastard want?" A harsh frown was present.

"Just warnings not to dabble with Ender and his apparent following of devoted Dark followers who're covering up his sins."

Connie's face soured, an emotion that was tired more than anything. "Novalie, just know that the drama surrounding different sections is nothing compared to the other secrets lurking in this castle."

"Sure," I shrugged halfheartedly. "Then it's a good thing that Faisal made us connect via contract."

A returning glower was the only response, although he also shook his head as if trying to banish my thoughts. It was a nifty trait, having access inside your contract's mind—I imagined the annoyance as well.

"Nova!" A bright shout spoke from the distance. "Oh, Connie as well!"

The unicorn ignored the sweet voice and sent me a heated glare. "Since you've started it, all your friends refer to me with that atrociously butchered version of my namesake."

"Constantine doesn't have the same flow as Connie though." I teased, then turned away to face the approaching twins. "Hey, have you seen Riley around?"

"No, I'm guessing that she's using her break to sleep somewhere." Gabriel provided from his sister's left. "Let's just hope she wakes up in time for class."

Morwen fidgeted. "I'll check on her, you guys go ahead!"

Before any of us could remark, she headed back towards the opposite direction. The two boys on either side of me shrugged it off, while I briefly wondered what Morwen and Riley were really up to.

Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.

Connie gave me an unimpressed look at my immaturity.

Gabriel noticed our averted attention. "My sister is tutoring Riley, since she keeps missing classroom work."

I was about to respond, before Connie rudely interrupted. "Can we go eat already?"

Gabriel turned with a scowl. "Nothing is stopping you from heading to the dining hall, your majesty."

"Novalie and I were in mid-conversation."

"Well, we're her friends now too—learn to share."

"You can have her." The unicorn scrunched up his nose.

I gave them both a whack on the arm, tired of their ridiculousness.

"Let's just all head to lunch," I said in exasperation. "You two can bicker all you want once I have food in front of me for company."

The second year merely clenched a sharp jaw, identical eyes to that of his sibling's brewing in the direction of Connie, who was sauntering away.

I examined Gabriel and wondered why he wasn't as popular. Not to say that looks were everything, though for popularity, it was vainly important. In a way, the kelpie was very much like the unicorn, who would have also been very well-liked if he didn't act like such a diva all the damn time. Maybe that was why; they simply didn't want the attention.