16 | The Raven and The Robin

̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶       ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶

          I wondered what it would be like in outer space.

Would it be peaceful, or lonely?

To float in an abyss of cosmos and constellations, stars circling the void in a matter that was so significant compared to my hovering body. This insignificance was beautiful however, the privilege to be a concious soul, someone who could actually appreciate everything surrounding them.

It was like being trapped in a perpetual sigh, forever exasperated, unable to do anything but observe.

"Next question."

Ender's voice broke through my thoughts, like a vacuum sucking away the fog.

I stared dazed. "What?"

"We're moving on to the next question." He began to lightly tap our shared table in a rhythmic pattern.

I once again noticed the perfectly pressed uniform gracing his solid body, a small shiny badge on the blazer's lapel showing an exceptional rank of Dark Representative.

"Right..." I looked down at the paper in my hands, wondering how we even got into this current situation. "What's your favourite animal?"

"Ravens." Ender diligently replied, bored eyes surveying the room with crossed arms.

Brows creased in curiosity as I wrote down his answer. "Really?"

"Next question." A tone that left no room for arguments.

"Why are you so frustrating?"

"I'm pretty sure that question wasn't on the list."

Ender was acting as if we didn't share such a personal moment yesterday, reverting back to his old self in a manner that annoyed me more than it wounded.

I briefly gazed at Lyric across the room, who was attempting to coax Connie's own answers out of him. There were a few other third years invading my Spirit Studies class with Professor Karnile, mostly because of a new system created to benefit both ends. A one-day tutorship with participants being marked for either teaching or learning, questions that supposedly help us understand the mechanics of a beast's instinct.

So here we are in Professor Delarosa's elaborately decorated classroom, playing some distorted version of 21 Questions.

My partner and I gave our questionnaire sheet a distasteful look.

"I've got a better idea." I crumpled the paper and tossed it.

Ender caught the ball into his palm, before giving a brief look of annoyance. "Which is?"

"Let's have a more hands-on approach to our lesson," I grinned. "Burn it."

"We're in a classroom."

"Nobody's looking, stop being such a stick-in-the-mud."