03 | Seal the Deal

I picked up the file once more, only to turn cold as it was flipped towards another page.

Was that Leon posing for the camera?

No wonder the twat wasn't answering my calls!

Teeth clenched as I tried to make sense of it, not understanding how my childhood 'bestie' managed to worm his way inside the school without telling me.

"What happens to targets that are caught?" A nervous laugh bubbled up.

"They're eliminated." He watched my hysteria reach peak. "I'd suggest you make a friendly acquaintance with them, get closer and observe any suspicious findings."

"How much danger am I risking entering this... mission?"

"A Soul Spirit can be any animal, insect, or creature." Faisal intertwined his fingers. "With some cases, one's spirit would be more mythical."

My confused face prompted him to continue explaining.

"For instance, someone could have the spirit of an eagle; they would then gain traits of said animal: enhanced eyesight, extra vitality, somewhat predatory in nature and much more."

I made a noise at the back of my throat that resembled a whimper, dread filling me as reality sunk in.

"There are rare occurrences where one would be born with the spirit of a fabled beast. Take a griffin for example, they would then have even more enhanced abilities and double the power compared to a regular avian."

"So what's mine?" I asked, curious to what possibilities I've shown so far.

"Some people spend their whole lives not knowing what their spirit is." Faisal gave me a pitying look as he got up and pushed in his chair. "To be honest, that's something you would benefit from."

"Why?" I tried and failed to cover up my annoyance.

Faisal watched me steam up, placing his hand on my shoulder as amusement drifted off. "Your spirit will consume you one day... sometimes it's better to be left ignorant, than destroyed by the truth."

I shrugged off his hand, before my eyes drifted back once again to the files.

Faisal seemed to notice my confusion.

"The students enrolled aren't obliged to state their specific spirit; they share if they please, or figure it out themselves. Some are easily discovered from more obvious physical characteristic to distinguish."

Right.

"Am I supposed to believe all this?" A vision of being chased down by blood thirsty monsters entered, causing me to shiver and toss the folder across the table. "Prove it."

Because last night still felt like a fever dream.

There wasn't any hesitation as he grabbed the charred frying pan from earlier, ignoring my shout as it erupted into flames, becoming so hot that it melted onto the stove in a blackened pile. The smell that wafted off the unsalvageable metal was ten times worse than earlier, and it was then that I understood why the meat smelt so rancid previously.

"You won't be by yourself." Faisal showed no care for his current showcase of fiery destruction.

"I don't want you tagging along." I indignantly lifted my chin in a meager attempt to mask its shaking, absolutely terrified by his display of power.

"Lucky for you, I'm not going." His eyes glinted with something unknown as he watched me tremble. "Someone else will be provided, and he should be here any minute."