Chapter 3: Encounters of Fate

Kendall POV

I feel like fate has a way of making it into people's lives. I for one don't usually believe in supernatural forces or luck for that matter, but I do believe in destiny and that's exactly the reason I have this reoccurring situation in my life. I thought about destiny and what it does because on Friday morning I was faced with it again.

I walked in Starbucks, feeling completely good and determined to have a great day at work, and my mood went straight into a downhill spiral. As I walked through the glassed double doors and went through the line to order my usual, hazelnut coffee, I was given a "wonderful" surprise. I spotted Shane at the counter grabbing his order and once he turned around he immediately saw me.

"Wow. It really is a small world," he said bitterly.

I crossed my arms and spat back at him. "How's that concussion?"

His blue eyes narrowed into slits and his mouth twisted sourly. "Touché."

I smiled and it didn't quite reach my eyes. "Thanks."

I set my purse on the counter, ordered and collected my coffee, quickly grabbed some more sugars and then turned heading out the door, leaving him standing there in annoyance.

* * * *

Shane POV

I couldn't help but smile as Kendall strutted her nice ass out of the coffee shop and I literally had to pinch myself from the trance I was in. I directed my attention back to my coffee and before I could turn to leave I noticed Kendall had left her bag on the counter. My gaze shifted to the people around me and everyone was quickly grabbing their belongings and coffee probably on the way to work, or somewhere important. It was a really busy day. I sighed and looked back at her bag and considered my options. If I left the bag here someone could steal her money and ID, but what would I get if I brought it back to her?

You would get the satisfaction of knowing you did a good deed.

I cursed myself silently and scooped her purse up before practically sprinting out the door. She couldn't have gotten far. I looked up and down the busy street and she was nowhere in sight. Where the heck could she have gone in five minutes? I groaned and dug into her bag, feeling slightly embarrassed that I was going through a women's purse, pulling out her wallet. The first thing that fell out was a card to some animal clinic. Kendall's beautiful face was plastered in the corner and she was dressed in scrubs; so I figured this was her job. I checked out the address and headed to my car.

Once I pulled up to Bayside Veterinary Clinic I went inside with Kendall's purse in my hand and received a few strange looks from the people leaving. I ignored it and went up to the check-in desk.

"Hi I'm looking for a Kendall Clark?" I told the lady at the desk nicely.

She looked up at me and clicked her pen a few times. "Does your pet have an appointment with her?"

I sighed. "I don't have a pet. I just need to see her literally for a few seconds, can't you just beep her out here or something?"

The women chewed on the inside of her lip and rolled her eyes. "She's busy right now, I think you can wait."

I glared at her. "I just need to give her something, can't you just get your lazy ass up and tell her I need her? I'm sure it wouldn't take that much of your time, you are a check-in girl, so all you do is sit here all day on your butt anyway."

I didn't have time for this woman. I had to be at work very soon.

She looked very offended and appalled at me. She stood up from her chair and pointed at me. "Listen I don't know who you think you are, but-."