Chapter 12: The Contract

The day I stepped my foot back into that building was the day I loathed leaving London and coming back to work. I knew I would have a ton of paperwork and meetings to catch up on, and that meant less time to spend with Kendall.

As soon as I stepped off the elevator I noticed most of my workers were extra quiet today. I scanned the room and everyone was typing away on computers or silently filling out papers. I made my way down the hall and went to my section of the building. Crystal was quietly typing on her computer and writing down important information on her notepad.

"Crystal what's up today, the building is super quiet." I asked curiously.

Crystal looked up at me and gave me an uneasy smile. "I see you're back from your trip."

"Yes I am. What's up today?" I asked again.

She sighed and nervously pointed to my office. "You have some visitors."

I rolled my eyes at her timidness and immediately stormed into my office. I slammed the door and once I turned towards my desk a scowl appeared on my face.

"What the hell are you two doing here?

Amber was sitting in front of my desk along with my father, or should I say John.

"What do you mean what are we doing here? I specifically told you your father would be in town in two weeks," she glanced at the date on her phone, "which was exactly two weeks ago."

I grunted and made my way to my desk, setting my brief case down. John still hadn't spoken up, but he was still staring at me with a dead look in his eyes.

"Well I have work to do, so if you don't mind can you both leave?"

John chuckled and crossed his arms. "Now son, this is my building I can leave whenever I want. Okay?"

I glared at him. "Well I work my ass off everyday in your building and I need some time to myself so I can get back to work for your company."

He smirked. "That's why I'm here. I know how hard you work and maybe it's time we talk business."

My eyebrows raised in interest. "Business?"

He nodded and I gestured to Amber. "Then why is she here?"

John ignored me and pulled out a rolled up white packet from his suit pocket. He handed it to me and I looked down at it. "What is this?"

"Read it." He said.

I skimmed over the first page and my heart hammered against my chest. It was the contract to the company. I was holding my dream in my hands. "The contract to the company?"

John nodded with a smirk. "Yup."

"You're giving it to me?" I said with wide eyes.

He chucked and snatched the contract away. "No I'm not giving it to you, yet. There still are some legal issues to be discussed and I still have to sign a bunch of paperwork. The process won't be final for a few months. We also have to schedule a meeting with the board, as well, for my lowering of power and your promotion to head."

I gulped. I couldn't believe he was discussing the contract with me, I had dreamed of this ever since I was sixteen. "Wow, I can't believe I'm getting the company."

"You aren't getting it that easy, there are a few minor details."

I frowned. I knew he would make this harder than it was. He didn't want to admit it, but handing over the company to me was killing him. "What details?"

He smirked and handed me the contract back. "Flip to page fifteen and read the third paragraph out loud."

I did as he said. "Owner of McCarthy & Co. agrees that during his/her term of presidency he/she will be fully betrothed or enacting in the legal joining of two spouses, i.e marriage, to insure the safety of the company and protect the individual franchise of each employee, if said owner were to fall ill, be involved in an accident or pass away."