Chapter 4: Suits Pets & Romance

Kendall POV

Every year at Bayside we held an annual pet adoption. The clinic with the most adopted animals, at the end of the week, received a grand prize of ten thousand dollars that went towards the clinic and the rest would be donated to local shelters around the area. Because of several hard working employees and myself Bayside had won three years straight and we were hoping to get a repeat this year.

The only problem was that there was a new clinic about thirty minutes from Bayside called Overland Veterinary Clinic; and since we beat them last year they were determined to win and sell more animals than us. I knew it was ridiculous for us to be having a "rivalry" but it was a big deal especially if you wanted more customers to come to your clinic.

On Saturday morning the adoption process began. Everyone reported to work at ten in the morning stat, and we set up the whole clinic to create a friendly feel to those adopting. The animals were brought out shortly after and customers started filling in.

I put on a friendly smile and assisted anyone who needed help or had any questions. Everything was going smoothly and tons of animals were being adopted, the mini Poodles were extra popular. An hour into the adoption one of my employees, Liv, walked up to me.

"Kendall, look who stopped by." She said, glancing at the entrance with fear.

I followed her gaze and saw three workers from Overland walk in following their leader - Delia. Where do I begin with Delia? Oh ya, she was down right evil and thought she was the best veterinarian in California. I frowned in disgust and crossed my arms as they approached Liv and I.

"Well, well, well...look what the cat dragged in," I said with a smirk on my face.

Delia walked straight up to me and glanced around at the place. "Ha. Funny, actually I just came to check the place out."

I gestured around and shrugged. "Well, you're here and now you see a good example of how to run a proper business."

Liv giggled at my (innocent) comment and Delia glared at me. "Geez, Kendall I didn't know you could be so harsh."

I bit my bottom lip and pouted. "Not harsh, just stating the truth. But, you had your look so you can go now, and on the way out how about you adopt a pet?"

Delia rolled her eyes and grinned. "You know what? I should adopt a pet...maybe that will help you win and get you that ten grand because this place needs some serious upgrades."

Her and her minions laughed and my mouth was washed over with a sour taste. I glared at her and she blew me a kiss.

"Toodles!" She said with a wink.

As she walked out she "accidentally" knocked over a tray of dog food and looked at me with a fake expression of apology before laughing and continuing to leave. I felt steam come out of my ears and I looked at Liv.

"I hate her!"

Liv patted my shoulder and sighed. "Me too, let me go clean that up."

I continued with the adoption and making sure we got animals into good homes. I wouldn't let Delia stop our business from booming. When I thought every thing was going good Liv came back up to me with bad news.

"Kendall we have a problem! Janice usually does the payments and tax for these type of events but we ran out of balance sheets! So she had to run all the way down to the bank; but someone slashed her tire and there's tons of traffic and she doesn't know how she can make it back!"

Liv stared at me out of breath and I groaned. How could this happen? Without someone doing the payment and tax transactions we couldn't sell another pet. Janice was part owner along with me and she usually dealt with all of the business stuff. I could help a little but I usually followed her lead.