21

it took me two days to wake up and now it was Sunday. i can't believe i'm missing all this school and work time. but when i did wake up, Josh was there. Josh was sitting in the chair right next to mine, not doing anything but waiting. when my eyes fluttered open, he came close to my face, "Ty?" he asked and i groaned in return as he hugged me.

"i'm so sorry, i'm so sorry that this had to happen," he pleaded as he started to cry. i rubbed his hair, gently because i was still sore, and then said, "it's okay. i'm okay."

he leaned over and kissed my lips softly before standing straight up and stretching before sitting down in his chair.

"are you mad?" i asked after a long pause of him rubbing his hands and getting "that" look on his face.

"oh yeah, i'm fucking fuming-"

"watch it."

"sorry," i smiled as he sat back further in his chair, "i need to think of a way to get revenge on them."

"why?"

i swear, he just gave me the most 'are you fucking kidding me?' look i've ever seen, "what?" i asked and he put his head in his hands.

"Tyler."

"what?"

"you're in a hospital bed," he said looking back up at me, "because of those little fuckers-"

i cut him off with another sigh, "Josh, i'm fine-"

"they did this to you Tyler. i have to do something. the police already have a hold of the three of them, so i need a plan for when they get back to school. you get it now?"

"i'm not a kindergartener, Josh."

"then you should understand this plan completely. correct?"

i didn't move a muscle or say anything. i didn't blink. i just stared. i'm not helping him. of course i want to punch that dumb smirk right off Brendon's face, but i can't because i don't want to end up like this again. i don't need to get hit by a truck again and not live through that. i was lucky this time.

"i'm sorry," i finally spoke.

"for wh-"

"that i got in the way of you and your friends. this would've ever happened. i'm sorry."

"stop it Tyler. you know it wasn't, and it still isn't, your fault. stop blaming yourself for everything. i don't need you running away again."

i felt a pit in my stomach when i thought of that day when i ran. i ran and didn't look back. i was tired of this town, and i still am, but i only stay because Josh is here.

"would you ever run away with me?" i asked. he cocked an eyebrow, "like how?"

"we'd run away. together."

"i don't know."

i was getting impatient with his tone of voice, "you're acting like a teenage girl on her period, would ya' calm down?"

"geez Tyler, i'm trying to help. do you want to go back to when we didn't date and i didn't care about you? is that what you want?"

i clenched my jaw, "leave." he furrowed his brows together as he studied my face: stone-cold and not happy. i need time to myself right now, i mean, it's not like anyone else is going to come visit me today. Pete and Patrick might tomorrow, but that's it.

oh my gosh, i can't believe i forgot about my friends. my friends i've known for most of my childhood. i've been spending so much time with Josh that i completely forgot about the ones who were there before him. i shook my head and looked down at my lap, immediately feeling guilty, "i'm sorry, i didn't mean it, J-"

i looked up and glanced around the room for him, but it was empty. only me.