Eight

"I can't do this. It's kind of late, maybe we should come back tomorrow," Demi said as they sat in Sterling's car in front of Odell's house.

"Demi, we're already here. Would you please go in there and get your man?" Sterling demanded as Demi looked at the front door again.

"But what if-"

"Get out of my car, Demi. The sooner you do this, the sooner we can eat."

"But I'm not hungry," Demi moaned as she opened the door. She grabbed the shirt that Odell had been asking for her to return since they slept together, the one that Kierra had given to him. Demi wanted it to sort of be a peace offering. If she gave him the shirt, he would let her explain without interrupting her.

Demi said a quick prayer before ringing the doorbell. She counted to twelve Mississippi before the door opened, but it wasn't Odell who opened it. It was Kierra.

"It's Demi, right? You're Shep's friend," Kierra said as Demi slowly nodded. Kierra didn't intimidate her at all. But what did intimidate her was her protruding belly. It was new. And Demi knew that it was because she definitely hadn't been pregnant last time she saw her.

"Yeah, um, is Odell home?" Demi asked as she ran her tongue over her teeth to keep herself from crying. Kierra was pregnant. There was no point talking to Odell now. He had clearly moved past whatever he was going through with Kierra and they were expecting their first child together.

"He's a little busy right now. But I can tell him you stopped by," Kierra politely said. Clearly, being pregnant by Odell erased any insecurities that Kierra had because she was so confident. She even placed her hand on her small belly as she smiled at Demi.

"No, it's fine. Just give this to him. Tell him I'm sorry that I kept it for so long." Demi knew exactly what she was doing when she gave Kierra the shirt but she didn't care. Kierra looked down at it in shock but before she could say anything, Demi was walking back to Sterling's car.

"Please take me to my hotel," Demi breathed out before bending over so that her head was in her lap and she could cry in peace.

"Demi-"

"Please take me to my hotel," she sobbed. Maybe she didn't have the right to cry over losing Odell because she was the one who pushed him away, but she had been trying to make it better. Now there was no going back. Kierra was pregnant. They were probably gonna get married. He would forget all about her. He would never try to contact her ever again. And maybe it was for the best. She was only 19 years old. Odell was 23. What would they do together anyway?

"If you need anything, just call me," Sterling said as they pulled up to her hotel. She nodded and exited the car with her duffle bag. She took the elevator up to the top floor and as soon as she made it to her room, she collapsed on her bed.

How could she be so stupid? She should've never left that morning after they had sex. Why did she always have to be so closed off? If she could've just explained to Odell why she had left and why he had freaked her out, then Kierra wouldn't be pregnant.

She suddenly didn't feel like being in her hotel room anymore. Instead, she cleaned her face and changed into something a bit more comfortable. Thinking that her and Odell would actually see each other and get to talk, she had gotten all dressed up. Now, she threw on the Giants shirt he let her sleep in last time they were together and a comfy pair of leggings. She pulled her hair up into a ponytail and called an Uber before going downstairs.

Thirty minutes later she found herself at the cemetery where her father was buried. The only reason why he was buried in New York was because he hated Los Angeles. There were a lot of things about her dad that she still didn't understand, and she never got to ask him about it because he had died before she could. And he was never around much when she was little anyway. He wasn't really around until she was in high school, but even that was for a brief period of time.