Chapter 1

Zora stared out the window of her bedroom, watching the comets as they cycled by. She wasn't sure of their exact location, she just knew that whatever planet this was had a particularly beautiful start system. Zora's gentle yellow eyes reflected the dancing of the stars. 

  There was a quiet knock, followed by the voice of Sanjana, Zora's handmaiden, "Princess Zora, the Emperor has requested your presence."

  "I'm on my way," Zora stood quickly, smoothing her black hair away from her face. The twin hoops that she'd put through each of her ears jingled cheerfully as she twitched her ears. 

   Zora followed Sanjana down the narrow passages of the ship, wondering what on earth her father wanted with her. He'd been very distant lately, and distracted. Zora had heard the soldiers whispering about something called Voltron. Her bodyguard, Kiba, had been summoned to her father's side that morning. That was even stranger than her fathers behavior, Kiba never left Zora's side, especially when she was walking around the ship among the soldiers. 

  The passage opened up into a large room, with windows showing the stars outside. Her father stood, staring out into the wide open cosmos.

  "Leave us."

  Out of the corner of her eye, Zora saw Sanjana bow and scurry away. She glanced to her left, where Kiba was leaning up against a wall, twirling his knife. What had her father wanted with Kiba? 

 "Lord Zarkon, you summoned me?"

 "Yes Zora, come up here."

  Zora nodded and walked quickly up the stairs, until she was standing at her fathers side. Zora was small for a galran, at least that's what Kiba said, her head barely came to her father's shoulder. 

 "Look out that window Zora," Zarkon gestured with one hand. "All that you see belongs to me, almost all of the universe belongs to me. I have conquered it all." 

 Zora had heard this a thousand times, it's how her father started almost every lecture he gave her. She'd been educated on all of Galran history, she knew of her father's conquests, how he'd taken a universe ruled by chaos and brought about order. 

 "One day, it will all be yours."

 Again, this was something Zora had heard a thousand times. 

 "But now there are people who are threatening the order I have brought to the universe. People who wish to see it topple back into chaos?"

 "Who would dare to stand against your Empire father," Zora asked. What she didn't ask was what kind of person would want to do something so terrible. To take the universe from a place of order into chaos, chaos which ended in death.

 "Long ago, hundreds of years ago, in fact. There was a weapon created that could defeat any army. They called it Voltron."

 "I thought Voltron was just a myth."

"No Zora. Voltron is very real, as is the threat it poses to the order I have established."

 "Surely nothing could stand against the might of the Galran Empire." It was a practiced response, one that every Galran knew by heart. But Zora had heard an edge of something in her fathers voice, something she'd never heard before, fear. Could there be something that could threaten her fathers reign?