Chapter 39

Zora could hear soldiers shouting from the other side of the door. Nervously, she smoothed her hands down the sides of her black dress. After recovering from her injuries, Zora had headed back to the Galra Empire. It would take years to fix it, years to undo the awful damage Emperor Zarkon had done to the Universe. But she could do it, she could, she had to.

  But the first step was to walk through those doors, and greet the Galra soldiers as there Empress, to make sure they were as loyal to her as they had been to the previous ruler. 

"I don't know if I can do this," Zora whispered hoarsely.

"Of course you can," Kiba said. He reached out with one hand and adjusted Zora's crown. It was made of thin swirls of black metal, with a single black gemstone hanging down over her forehead. "You've met some of these men when we were traveling from outpost to outpost, you have already earned their trust and respect."

"Yes but-"

"That's all there is to it," Kiba interrupted. "They are soldiers, they will follow your orders." 

"Thank you. Truly."

"Of course Princess... Or should I say Empress?" He grinned wolfishly at her.

"If you would simply call me Zora as I've asked you to countless times, there wouldn't be any confusion."

 Kiba cocked his head to one side, peering intently at her with his yellow eyes, waiting for an answer.

 Zora sighed, "I prefer Princess if you must. At least when it's just us. Empress sounds so pretentious."

"It is a title you more than deserve. But as you wish Princess." Kiba gently pushed her toward the door, "Now go."

 Zora took a deep breath and stepped out through the doors. She was standing above hundreds of soldiers, all cheering. Kiba stood behind her, a comforting presence, as always. 

 This was who she was now. Empress of the Galra Empire. 

 She could make out what the soldiers were cheering now.

"Long Live Empress Zora!"