Nightmare | John Murphy

REQUEST

  Hey could you write something with John Murphy (a modern au would be lovely but if not thats okay) about that you can't sleep because nightmares but then he comes to comfort you and he helps you sleep again? Thank you xx  

(I did my best to write a modern AU, I hope it turned out like you wanted :) also I hope you don't mind that it's a bit of a shorter one!)

You sat on your boyfriends couch, heart beating fast in your chest. Murphy was upstairs sleeping peacefully, unaware that you had left the bed.

You had woken up from a nightmare in a cold sweat, heart hammering and hands shaking. Trying to fall back asleep would be pointless- in this state you were hyper aware of everything. Every shadow, every noise. And it wasn't helping you calm down. You had gone to the bathroom, splashing your face with cold water in an attempt to calm yourself down, but it barely soothed the adrenaline running through your veins.

You turned the TV on, keeping it at a low volume to not wake Murphy. The random images on the screen did their best to distract you from your thoughts and memories of your dream, but it just wasn't working.

You heard the floor creak and your anxiety spiked again. You looked over and saw John, rubbing his eyes as he looked at you in confusion. "Y/N? Why'd you leave?"

You sighed, relief flooding into you as he walked over. "God, you scared me."

"Are you okay?" he asked, still concerned about why you weren't in bed anymore.

"Yeah, I just...I had a nightmare," you confessed, looking away in embarrassment. Murphy sat down next to you, his leg nudging yours.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked, hand grabbing yours. His thumb rubbed back and forth to comfort you.

"Not really." You shook your head, honestly not wanting to think about it. "It's stupid, anyway. I'll be fine."

"Hey," Murphy placed two fingers on your chin, guiding you to meet his gaze. "You're allowed to be scared, Y/N."

You looked into his eyes, letting your vulnerability surface within your own. "I can't stop thinking about it," you admitted.

Murphy brought his legs up onto the sofa, laying down. He gestured for you to do the same, so you followed, the warmth of his chest against your back soothing you. He wrapped his arm around you, making you feel safe against him. "Then we'll just have to think about other things," he said. "What do you want to talk about?"

"...I dunno," you mumbled, thoughts still cluttered.

"What do you want to do tomorrow?" he asked, trying his best to spark a distracting conversation.

"Hmm...there was this art exhibit I was reading about online yesterday," you answered, mind switching onto something else without you even realizing it. "It'll only be around for another week or so. It's kind of a long drive, though."

"We should go," Murphy said, smiling as he brushed his fingers gently through your hair. Your eyes fluttered closed from the relaxing sensation. "It sounds interesting."

"Yeah," you agreed, voice getting softer. You were growing tired again, your nerves now calmed with the help of Murphy.

"Maybe we can go on a quick shopping trip after," he suggested, his hushed and raspy voice lulling you to sleep. "I have a few things I've been meaning to get."

"That'd be nice," you murmured, barely aware of the fact that you were speaking. Your thoughts had drifted to tomorrow, to the art exhibit, to shopping, and then into the unmemorable spiral that comes before sleep.

Murphy leaned over and kissed your cheek. "Goodnight, Y/N." He settled into a comfortable position, still holding you close as the two of you drifted off to sleep together.