Inspection

This is the first chapter updated in 2017.

  Heavy steps resounded through the corridor of the palace, Takeshi sighed for the umpteenth time, he had been looking desperately for a certain man since dawn.

"Kidei!" Takeshi screamed his name but received no response.

"Takeshi, The emperor wants to talk you." An officer appeared from behind a pillar told Takeshi.

"Where should I head to?"

"To his study room."

"Thank you"

The guards in front of the study room opened the door as soon as they caught glimpse of Takeshi. Takeshi entered the big room, with six huge bookshelves filled with ancient and contemporary literature on each side of the room, a heavy candle chandelier hung from the ceiling. At the empty desk, the emperor sat on his throne with the empress on his right. Hardly did this ever happen, so weak was the empress. Without guards around them too.

Takeshi saluted them.

"Takeshi, I have summoned you here because I want to present you to someone." The emperor said as a man came out of behind a curtain.

"Hey, Takeshi" a familiar face greeted.

"Kidei!" Takeshi exclaimed, surprised. What was Kidei doing in here? And what was with that cloak-and-dagger look? He wore the rugged outfit of a Kaida frontiersman.

"It seems that you two know each other." Masayoshi observed, "Kidei will be the one who will conduct the investigation of the attempted poisoning of our family."

Takeshi watched the emperor expectantly but he said nothing.

"My lord, can I participate in the investigation?" Takeshi asked but Masayoshi shook his head.

"If I may ask, why not then, my lord?"

"It might be you who poisoned the horse of my daughter."

Takeshi was struck with indignation. Him! "What makes you think so?"

"In this era you cannot trust anyone especially the ones near you; especially when you are royalty, unless they are proved to be trustworthy."

"You trust him?" Takeshi retorted, pointing a finger at Kidei. It didn't add up at all. Who was Kidei now?

"Yes, he proved his loyalty to me."

"Why don't you trust me? Why did you assign me as your daughter's guard if you didn't trust me in the first place?"

Rage was boiling inside of Takeshi as his tone became harsher. It was uncontrollable, and he didn't know why.

"You tone down your voice and the reason is-" Kidei cut the emperor before he could finish his sentence.

"Your majesty, you can trust Takeshi like you trust me; indeed he is more loyal and honest than I am. Please let him participate." Kidei requested the emperor. "I have known him from childhood."

"Do whatever you want since it's you who will lead this investigation but if anything happens, you will be at fault." Masayoshi said. "I expect great things from you, Kidei. Fail, and the consequences will be severe."

Kidei bowed. "Yes, your majesty."

"Dismissed."

Takeshi followed Kidei out of the study room and the guards shut the doors behind them.