Seven: Boy

It had been two weeks since me and Zoe had spent the night watching cheesy Christmas movies. She had found a job working at the local library and I knew she liked her new job better than her old one.

However, I wasn't getting payed much at Joe's Coffee Shop. Not a lot of people ever came and bought stuff, so there for, the shop wasn't getting a lot of money.

I was standing outside the coffee shop and was about to go in to start work when I saw what was on the door. It said 'closed'. The sign should have said opened considering I wasn't opening up today and it was already one in the afternoon. The lights were on inside though see I checked to see if the door was opened. It was.

I opened the door and went inside the coffee shop. Joe, James and Jade were all sitting at a table in the middle of the coffee shop. "Hello!" It wasn't a usual occurrence that I saw the three family members together at once. Jade said a small 'hi', where as James gave me a nod and Joe gave me a smile. Although the smile seemed happy, I saw sadness and regret in his eyes. What was going on?

"Erm, is everything okay, guys?"

Joe sighed and shook his head. "The shop isn't bringing enough money in anymore. It hasn't in a while."

I nodded well aware of the lack of costumers.

"And we have to shut it down." It was James this time that said it.

"WHAT?!" I screamed. This is the place I worked, loved and earned my money. Although I never had earned a lot, it was enough to keep me going. "You can't sell it." My voice finally broke.

"Oh, Park!" Jade exclaimed in a broken sob, rushing over to me and engulfing me in a hug.

I pushed her away, more rudely then I attended to. "No. You can't just give up."

Joe gulped and looked at me with pitiful eyes. I didn't want his pity. It was only Joe that had a sliver of an idea how hard this would be for me. He knew how many times I had been fired from last jobs.

I had been fired from the perfume section in Boots because apparently it wasn't acceptable to flirt with the customers. My boss just didn't understand that I hadn't been flirting and was just being friendly. My kindness always seemed to get en in trouble.

The pet shop had let me go because I always fed the puppies a bit of my ham sandwich. I knew I wasn't supposed to, but I couldn't help it! They were just so cute!

I had worked in a funeral home but my constant smile had been a problem and my manager had said it was not appropriate.

No one would hire me. "Joe, please."

"I'm sorry, kiddo." He didn't look at me.

"I'm begging you. You know I won't find another job." I was so close to tears it was ridiculous. My dream was to own a café, but I actually needed money to do it. I had saved quite a lot over the years, but it wasn't enough to buy a place and keep on paying rent.

Joe also knew about my horrible past. I had came to him with nothing and had broken down with tears and told the guy my life story. "There's nothing more I came do, Park." he said more sternly this time.

"Yes there is. I'll make posters at the library, print them, and stick them around town. Hell, I'll dress up as a cup of coffee and stand at the street corner with a sign if I have to."

Jade wrapped her arm around my waist and I didn't pull away this time. "Park is right. There is so much we can do to save this place."

"No there isn't." Everyone was on there feet now and James was clenching and unclenching his fists.

"Oh, shut up. You've always hated this place and said Uncle should sell it." Jade said pointing an accusing finger his way. "Your just saying that because you want him to sell it."

"So what if I do? This place is a dump."

Now I was angry. "You know, James. I've never hated someone but your coming really close to it. Joe has worked his back off on this place, and I know it's not exactly a success, but it's something." I said confidently, "So if you're going to continue with this negativity, then you can just – well, erm, you can just sod off."

I had never swore in my life and I was not going to start now. James clenches his jaw and glares at me. "Fine. But count me out of this." And without James grabbed his coat and shrugged it on, before walking out the shops door and slamming it shut.

I look back at Joe to see tears in his eyes. "Wow, kid. I've never saw you look so angry before," he lets out a small chuckle, "But thanks, Park. For everything."

A toothy grin replaced my frown and I walk over to Joe, and to his surprise, I give him a hug. "No, thank you. If you didn't give me a job, I'd probably be on the streets right now begging for pizza crust."

"Hey! First of all, where's my hug? And second of all, what's wrong with pizza crust?! It's delicious!"

I pull away from Joe and turn around to hug Jade, while laughing. "Oh, Jade."

"Oh, Park." Jade mocks.

I wasn't going to lie and say that saving the coffee shop wasn't in my best interest, because it was. I needed the money the job was giving me – despite how little the payment was – and I was definitely not going to be able to find another person willing to take me. But I would of done it all the same even if money wasn't a problem. And you know why? Because it was for Joe. If he sold the shop the money he'd get would last him a while, but not his whole life. And where was a middle aged man going to find a decent job?

I wasn't worried so much about Jade. I knew she'd be able to find a good job in no time that probably payed better than here.

These people had helped me through so much, and it was my turn to help them.

***

A/N:
This is kind of a filler chapter but it gives you an insight on Park's life. You will see more of Zoe and Park in the next chapter.
I hope you liked this chapter and that it helped you understand Parks character a bit more.
Lots of love, sinfultruth <3