01. The New House

Skylar

We pulled into the driveway of our new house in River Hollows. And gods was I thankful. Being stuck in a mini van with 5 siblings-4 being younger than you? Not fun. I repeat. Not. Fun.

"Finally." I sighed into my jacket sleeve, waiting for Willow to move her butt out of my way. "Come on Willow! Pick up the pace!"

She shot me a glare with those annoyingly pretty hazel eyes of hers. "I'm sorry." She said slowly, as if talking to a four year old. I resisted the urge to strangle her. "But my poor foot is stuck, UNDER THE SEAT!" She cried, over exaggerating the last part, with some spit in my face for added effect.

I rolled my eyes and grabbed her leg, yanking it out from under the moveable seat. She scowled at me and I could have sworn I heard a crack somewhere in there.

"Ow!" She hissed. I sighed as she went into her rant about why I shouldn't touch her. This was a usual. "Blah blah blah blah blah blah."

I tuned her out and leaned back, waiting for her to finish. I reached down and took my socks off, slipping my sandals back on. It was quite tempting to just stuff this thing into her mouth.

"Skylar! Willow!" Chris-my adoptive dad- yelled. "Get out of the car!"

"Willow's blocking the way!" I cried, throwing my sock at her instead.

"Ew!" She yelled and threw it back at me before grabbing her bag and jumping out of the car. She even closed the door behind her, turning the lights off, leaving me in a completely dark car. Gee. What a nice sister.

I sighed as I heard my dad lock the car. Really? You've got to be kidding me! I went to unbuckle my seat belt but it wouldn't budge. I tried again and again. Ugh. They seriously needed to get this seatbelt fixed.

I pulled my phone out and cursed my sister to the ends of the world as my phone shut down due to low battery. My gods, I had the worst luck. Ever. Add that to list of things I hated, along with my annoying sister.

So I huffed out a breath and leaned back in my seat. Derek would come out here. Eventually. I mean he had to, he left his phone charger in here. So all I had to do was wait.

Five minutes passed. Then ten. I was about to start banging on the window when the car lights turned on and the side door opened.

There stood Derek with his eyebrow raised, car keys in hand. I held up my hand before he could say anything. "Not one word." I said.

"How about 5? You've got really bad luck." He said. I rolled my eyes and he climbed in the backseat to sit next to me. "Can you not unbuckle?" He asked, looking at me like I was stupid.

I scowled at him. "This is that seatbelt that forever got stuck after that car crash. Remember?"

"Right." He said and he reached under the seatbelt to find the latch button. Of course from my position I couldn't reach it. "Why didn't you sit somewhere else?"

"Because little miss prissy pants over there snapped at me to not sit so close to her." I grumbled, raising my arms as he unbuckled he seatbelt. "And frankly I didn't want to sit close to her either. Thanks." I said.

"Willow is just-" he started leaning back and giving me a partially sympathetic partially annoyed expression.

I held up my hand again. "You don't have to defend her. She's your sister and I'm not. She doesn't like me because I'm not like her and she finds it ridiculous that her parents adopted me and wouldn't tell her why."

He gives me a sad expression. "They do care about you, you know. And I know Willow is just being a brat but I can tell you've grown on her."

I scoffed, slinging my backpack on my shoulder. "Yeah. I'm definitely her favorite. But I know they care about me, I mean why else would they take me in?"