10. The Secret's Out. Or is it?

Skylar

Okay, so get this, I just moved to River Hollows what four five days ago and I just figured out that all the new friends I made, plus pretty much the whole town, are werewolves. Yeah I know. But I'm not going crazy. And also my crazy abusive ex boyfriend is one as well, perfect. But wait, I'm not done. Ryan has also informed me that my freaking adoptive brother and his girlfriend are werewolves too! Wait. Does that mean.....holy shit! I've been living with werewolves!

But that makes sense! Maybe that's why Willow doesn't like me, because she's a werewolf and I'm not. She probably shifted at around age 10, and realized I wasn't one of them. Well news flash, I don't really care. I mean I just saw the freaking hottest guy in town turn into a giant wolf, I think I had bigger problems to deal with than Willow.

So I was just standing there, in the woods in front of Ryan, who yes was a giant wolf and yes was the hottest guy I just referred too, trying to process the fact that my life was completely intertwined with werewolves.

"Wait." Ryan said. "You know Derek?"

"Know him?" I asked exasperated. "He's my freaking brother!"

"Brother?" Ryan stared at me like I had two heads. "I'm aware of Willow, Sierra, and Pam, but I never knew he had a fourth sister."

"Well," I said, sighing and shrugging my shoulders. "Adoptive sister. They adopted me when I was like 6 months old or something, before Willow was born."

"Woah woah woah. What?" He asked, taking a step forward. "They adopted you?"

I nodded. "Yeah and Willow hates me because I'm not like her and now I realize why."

"I'm sorry about that but you need to make this very clear. Derek Hastings and his parents, adopted you, when you were 6 months old." He was leaning real close to my face now. And while I enjoyed that, I was confused.

"Didn't you head what I just said?" I asked and he glanced down, his eyes landing on my necklace.

His eyes widened to the size of the moon. "Where did you get that?" He asked slowly, pointing to my necklace.

I reached up and clutched it. "I've always had it. They said I had it with me when they adopted me."

He froze and I could tell by the way his eyebrows furrowed, he was thinking. Thinking hard. Suddenly he grabbed my shoulders. "We need to talk to Derek. Where is he?"

"At my house." I was kind of nervous at this sudden urgency in his voice.

He stepped back and shifted, the cracks and pops echoing in the clearing. He crouched in front of me and gestured to his back with his head.

"Get on?" I asked incredulously. He nodded impatiently. I hesitated before climbing on his back. His fur felt extremely soft.

He stood back up making me lean back. Without thinking, I leaned forward and wrapped my arms around his neck, curling my hands into fists around his fur.

His ears twitched up slightly and before I could even take a shaky breath, he took off running down he path towards my house. "Woah!" I yelled and held on tighter. He was an extremely fast runner. The trees blurred past me just like they had the first time I had run in the forest, with inhuman speed that only a werewolf possessed. No. That was impossible. I couldn't be a werewolf.

The edge of the woods came into view and Ryan slowed, but didn't shift. He jogged to the front of the house and kneeled down so I could slide off.

I stood there for a moment waiting for him to shift back and I gave him a confused look when he didn't. He just nodded toward the door. "You're just gonna waltz in my house as a giant wolf?" I asked I incredulously.