07. Daniel's Back

Skylar

The beach was absolutely beautiful and the waves were huge. The sun shined through the crystal clear water, gving me a clear view of all the sea life underneath. Including a bunch of...

"Seashells!" I yelled, slipping my sandals off and wading into the water. Ryan was right, the water was warm. I bent down and examined all the tiny shells underneath me. There were a bunch of broken clam shells, all different colors. I reached down into the water and picked up a blue one. The sand shifted off as I lifted it high above the ocean surface. The sun glinted off the smooth blue edge of the tiny shell.

I slipped it in the pocket of my shorts just as Chloe and Ryan waded after me. Lish and Cameron set up towels and beach seats with one giant rainbow umbrella while Sam unpacked the cooler. "Seashells?" Ryan asked, glancing at me with a small smile on his lips.

I nodded. "Yeah." I picked up a green seashell and held it out to him. He opened his hand. I placed the shell on his palm and closed his fingers around it. My hand lingured a little longer than necessary and I hoped he didn't notice as I turned back to the wide variety of shells. "I love collecting sea shells. I remember when I was five, we all went on a vacation to Florida. I walked the beach every morning, picking up tiny shells that I thought were pretty. At the time I had no idea what they were so that's why they were interesting to me."

"So you like collecting shells?" Ryan asked. I looked over at him and saw that he was smiling at me with a strange look in his eyes. I nodded. "Yes."

"Good. Hand me that other shell you picked up." He said, holding a hand out to me. My eyebrows furrowed but I did as he said and watched as he put the green and blue one in the bockets of his green swim trunks. "If you collect anymore, you can give them to me so I can hold them for you." He said, that smile never vanishing.

I was a little confused, but I smiled anyway. I remembered a bunch of times when I 'd lose my favorite ones. Ryan smiled and picked up some shells as well, slipping them into his pocket.

"Ooh! Look at this one!" Chloe exclaimed, coming over and handing me a rainbow colored shell, the colors dancing off the light. "That's really pretty Chloe." I said, smiling at her childish behavior. I was surprised that she was in high school honestly. Then again, she's a freshman and she's 14, so I guess it's understandable why she'd get so excited over seashells.

What about you, you idiot? You're 16 and you're just as excited! A voice in my head said. Oh shut up. I replied.

After picking up about 26 more seashells, I announced that I was going for a swim. Ryan followed me up to the sand, leaving Chloe wading along, finding seashells. Lish and Cameron were relaxing on towels, Lish in her really pretty green bikini and Cameron shirtless with his gray swim trunks. Sam was lounging on one of the chairs, his sunglasses covering his eyes but I could've sworn he was watching Chloe.

I nudged Lish with my foot and knocked Sam's glasses off. "Come on guys! We're at the beach! Get off your lazy butts and let's go swim!"

Lish smiled and jumped up, pulling Cameron up without bothering to see if he was willing to come or not. Sam picked his glasses up and put them back on with a pointed look in my direction. I stuck my tongue out at him. "I thought you'd never ask!" Lish said just as Sam said, "I'll be out in a little bit."

"Too busy enjoying the view?" I asked suggestively, smiring. He looked up at me and blushed, the redness of his flushed cheeks, clashing against his tan skin. "What are you talking about?" He asked, his voice rising a little.

Ryan, Lish, and I laughed while Cameron shook his head. "Smooth bro. Even Newbie here noticed."

I rolled my eyes at the nickname while I slipped my shorts off and took my tanktop off. I felt a pair of eyes on me and I turned around to find Ryan raking his eyes over my body. My cheeks flushed and I grabbed Lish's hand, heading back toward the water. Chloe met up with us as I desperately tried to ignore Ryan's eyes on me. Gosh i can't look that bad can I?