on your own

You had just graduated college at the age of 23 with an art major. You were now free to roam the sunny city of L.A. You wanted a job in art, but for now you worked at a local coffee shop. Unsure of what to do, you were lazing around your apartment without a care in the world, quietly doodling some flowers in a vase. You had to go to work in an hour so you got up to do your hair and get dressed. You put your hair in a simple bun and put on your working apron. You grabbed your purse and phone and clambered out your apartment door straight into someone.

"Sorry!" You sputtered out. You looked up and saw a man with messy black hair, bright green, almost hazel eyes and a large smile. He was short, but still seemed manly for his height. "Don't worry about it" he winked at you.  You smiled at him and continued to walk down the stairs so you weren't late for work.

When you arrived at the coffee shop you rushed behind the cash register so you could get to work. As you were working your best friend and co-worker Ithaca walked over. Her dark brown hair was messy and it matched her rambunctious eyes. You smiled when you saw her and she smiled back. You were about to talk to her when the guy you ran into earlier that morning walked in with someone.

The guy had bright red hair and you found it insanely attractive. He had a smug smirk on his face, and his eyes were like beautiful hazel tornadoes that never seemed to stay a certain color. They walked up the counter and Ithaca said, "Earth to y/n are you awake? Go ahead and take their order, just try not to melt while doing it." She winked at you and went to take orders.

They approached the counter and you smiled at them. The shorter one ordered first and you discovered his name was Frank. You both smiled and spoke about your collision with each other to his friend who you discovered was named Gerard. He ordered after and winked at you. "Hey hon, I'll take a black coffee, sugar, no cream." You giggled and nodded placing his order with the others. On his cup you wrote, "Big Red" When their orders were ready you handed it to them and you heard Gerard laughing when he read the cup. "Nice one sugar." He said while he smirked. You felt butterflies in your stomach and you tried hard not to blush, but you could feel the heat rising to your cheeks.

While they were sitting, drinking their coffee you couldn't help but to look at Gerard every once in a while. You couldn't tell what was so alluring about him, but you knew you liked him. Once, while you were looking he caught you staring and you quickly adverted your eyes, blushing the whole time.

Once they left you could focus better on your work, and the time went so fast that you didn't realize your shift was over until Ithaca told you. You and Ithaca usually hung out after your shift, so you both clocked out and went down to the bookstore across the street.

"So you though red-hair was cute?"
Ithaca asked.

"Yeah..." You mumbled as you blushed.

"You should ask him out. You never know, the next day he could be taken."

"I'll be patient, but let him know I'm waiting" You responded. You made it to the bookstore.

You were looking through the comic books and picked out a few to buy. You could hear Ithaca laughing behind you. "What's so funny?" You pondered.

"Nothing, we just come to a book store for comics, that's all."

"I like comics!" You responded.

Ithaca held her hands up in surrender, "I know, I know. Are we gonna go buy those or what?"

You nodded and walked with Ithaca to the register. When the comics were purchased Ithaca said bye and began to walk away, you did too. When you got to your apartment you sat on your couch and read the comics aimlessly, focusing more on the illustrations then the actual plot line. You had read for about 3 hours and you decided to eat some dinner.

You walked over to the fridge and pulled some cold pizza out and ate it while watching the news on the couch. You were trying to focus but a face kept coming into your mind. A red haired, hazel-eyed face to be exact. You just couldn't get him out of your mind. His striking features and spunky personality had you instantly attracted. You hoped one day you could know him better. Damn it! I'm falling for someone I just met? How cliche!

You were frustrated with yourself, but very tired from the day. You felt your eyelids start to become very heavy. Your last thoughts were of Gerard, and his smile that made a blush creep on your cheeks and butterflies flutter in your stomach.