Chapter Nine: It All Comes To An End

||Lucas||

*Two Months Later*

I gently ran my hand through her hair, trying not to wake her up. She was sleeping peacefully, for the most part. Although she kept grimacing a couple times.

I studied her sleeping figure in the dim lighting. Her cheeks had hallowed out more, her lips were chapped and more white than pink. Her hair no longer held those honey tones, and it was looking dull. The rest her body was small and frail. It's getting to the point where I'm afraid to hold her hand too tightly, even though I know it won't actually hurt her. Her skin was a pale cream, her face still holding the most color. I do my best to make her blush, I don't want that color to go.

When she's awake, it's a different story. She has that fight, but still refuses any treatment. Nothing other than the pain meds that they have in that IV in her hand. Her eyes don't hold that same spark, and they only light up for a few seconds when she sees I'm still here.

"Lucas?" A soft voice whispered, pulling me out of my reverie.

"How are you feeling Lynn?" I asked, placing my hand on her face.

She shrugged and leaned her face into my hand. She was worse than yesterday. She always was.

"I have a few requests when I die," She paused, having a coughing fit. I quickly readjusted her bed and helped her sit up properly. Well, to the best of her abilities.

"Okay, here they are," I looked out the window, it was still pretty dark out, though sunrise was just around the corner, "I obviously don't have a will, but there are a few things I want you to have. You'll find them in a box on top of the shelf in the closet. Anything else you, or my mother can keep." She stopped again, waiting to catch her breath. She doesn't talk a lot anymore.

"I hate this. Out of all the people this could have happened to, something chose you." I said, gingerly grabbing her hand.

"At least it's not a child." She whispered with a half-hearted smile.

"It's not fucking fair." I muttered.

"Lucas, have you eaten," I raised an eyebrow at her, "because you're not you when you're hungry." She burst into giggles which turned into another coughing fit.

"Lynn! Be careful, and no, I haven't eaten since breakfast yesterday." Her eyes widened and she pulled her hand out of mine.

"Go eat! And could you bring me a couple Subway cookies?" I chuckled and stood up.

"I love you beautiful." I paused at the doorway.

"I love you, too." She sent one more faint smile before closing her eyes. I walked out and left to get the food.

***
"She stopped breathing!"

"We need oxygen if she wakes up and..." The voice got muffled as they sped away.

What the hell is going on. I turned the corner and froze, dropping the food on a counter.

As I neared, the most prominent sound was the heart monitor.

Beeeeeeep.

A flatline. Doctors and nurses shoved passed me, running in and out of the room. But I couldn't move.

"Sir, we're going to need you to move. Sir? Sir, follow me." She gently grabbed my arm and pulled me down the hall just a ways, and sat me into a chair in a waiting room-like space.

Lynn was, she was...she's gone.

I pulled myself out of the chair and angrily left the building. She was gone.

How? How could she just leave me like that.

The drive to the house was quick. I rushed inside, slamming both doors behind me. I made my way up the stairs and into our room.

I had to pause for a minute. Everything was the same way from sixteen days ago. Our clothes were scattered across the floor, our bed was still a mess. The room smelled like her perfumes, the ones that she had sprayed several times. Her top drawer was open, a pile of laundry was still waiting to be put up.

I walked past everything, going directly to the closet. Only to be engulfed in more of her perfume. I reached into the top of the closet and pulled out a decent sized, cardboard box.

I sat down on the edge of the bed, and pulled the box open.

I was greeted with an envelope, with the word "photos" written across the front in Lynn's loopy handwriting. I shook out the contents, almost afraid to look at them.

The first one was a week after we had met, she was sitting on the couch with her donuts, and I was attempting to take a selfie with her camera.

The next one was of us again, this time, posed in a strange position.

In most of them, we were making silly faces until the last three. The first one, was when we were dancing at my mom's birthday party. I didn't even realize this was taken. It was when I dipped her down low, a smile across both our faces.

The second was sitting one of us sitting on the cliff, with her head on my shoulder. Her eyes were shut tightly, and a large smile covered half of her face, while I was looking over at her, well to the best of my ability.

The last one was of just her, standing alone in the kitchen. I had taken this. A long time ago. She looked as beautiful as ever. The honey tones were back, the elegance of her stance, and her natural grace was very visible. She help a soft smile on her face, only half could be seen from the way she was facing.

There were a few other things in the box. Her camera, the keys to her studio, and a beautiful painting of me. Plus another envelope, this time, with my name written on the front.

I tore into it, eager to read her final words to me.

"Dear Lucas,

You suck first of all. You ate the last of my donuts again. Rude. Second, I love you. So much.

If you're reading this letter it obviously means I am no longer alive, and I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I'm also sorry that you fell in love with me and I was too selfish to let you go.

Don't be put off love after this. (That's what they say in the movies, right?) You're absolutely amazing. There's so much that I could name that I love about you. And bonus, you're hot. You'll find someone, and I hope she can give you so much more than I. I mean, she obviously can, she's still alive. Okay! Sorry, sorry! That was harsh. Oh gosh. God, how do people write these goodbye letters. I'm terrible at this.

Well, anyway, I love you Lucas. I have to go because you're calling me for something. I have no clue what. You need to be patient jeez. I'll see you again. Maybe. I'm not really sure how this whole death thing works. Oh well.

Love,
Raelynn"

I put the letter down and took deep breaths. Lynn really was gone. There was nothing I could do.

I love you Lucas.

I love you too.

***
There is one more chapter after this, it will be published tomorrow! Remember, there is no epilogue.

|Edited|