[15] Therapy

The resident therapist for the Avengers was a woman named Melanie Foster. She was very sweet and kind, but also stubborn. She wouldn't let you walk all over her.

Rebecca's P.O.V

I awoke the next day to someone knocking on my door. I got up in a flash and grabbed a knife from the kitchen, since I wasn't allowed guns yet. I had slept in my armor, worried of an attack. Well, I hadn't actually slept. I was awake most of the night.

I approached the door without a sound and flung it open, holding the knife up.

The woman outside my door jumped back.

"Rebecca! I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you." I still didn't lower the knife.

"Steve sent me. I'm a therapist." She said. Still held the knife up. Ho did I know she wasn't Hydra?

"Okay. I am going to get Bucky and Steve to come up here. Will you believe them?" I considered, then nodded. She reached into her bag, but I motioned with the knife for her to keep her hands up, where I could see them.

"Fine, I'll ask J.A.R.V.I.S to call them." She didn't sound upset, just a little exasperated.

"Call Steve and Bucky."

"They will be here shortly." The computer replied.

When Steve and Bucky arrived, they found us in the same position. The 'therapist' had her hands raised in surrender and I was pointing a knife at her.

"Rebecca, put the knife down. She's not Hydra. She's just a therapist." Bucky walked over and pried the knife out of my fingers.

"Just have a chat with her. It's okay." Steve said. I nodded cautiously and went back inside, leaving the door open.

She followed me in, closing the door behind her.

"My name is Melanie Foster." She said as she came in. I sat down at one side of the dining table and she sat at the other.

"Have you eaten today?" She sounded oddly concerned. I shook my head no.

"Okay. I'll just make you something quick." Before I could object, she was in the kitchen making breakfast.

After about ten minutes, she placed a plate of toast with a fried egg in front of me. And a glass of juice.

Melanie returned to her seat across from me.

After a few minutes, she asked, "What's wrong, do you not like the food?"

"It might be poisoned, or drugged, and I haven't seen this kind of food in 70 years." I said in barely a whisper.

"I didn't poison or drug it." She sounds surprised. "If I eat some and nothing happens, will you eat?"

"You may have built up a tolerance to the poison or it may be a delayed reaction, where you would have time to take an antidote and I would die weeks from now."

"Okay, let's skip breakfast." She manages to smile over the awkward situation. "So, you are Bucky's sister, right?"

"Yes."

"But you only lived with him when you were young before you were separated."

"Yes."

"You were in the Army?"

"Yes."

"But you're too young. How did you get enlisted?"

"Friend."

"Can you expand on that?"

I stayed clammed up.

"Can you talk to me about what Hydra did to you?"

I shook with anger when she said the name, then I may or may not have flipped the table. Literally. Then stormed out.

I made my way to the roof and sat on the edge.

I was out there for a while, before anyone dared to come and talk to me. I knew that they were watching. Stark had cameras everywhere.

Bucky didn't say anything. Just sat next to me.

"It would be so easy to just slip off the edge. I deserve it." I told him, not making eye contact.

"You don't deserve it. Hydra made you do those things." He tries to sound comforting.

"That's not an excuse!" I yell before getting up and running away from him.

The next few days go similarly. I refuse to eat anything that I didn't make, then answer in one word to Melanie, then get pissed and run away. Every night I have terrible dreams of the things Hydra did to me.