Chapter 4: Loner

Third Person POV, Neville's Perspective

"Longbottom!" echoed a voice through the whole Great Hall the next day. Every eye searched the Great Hall until they found Neville, and they all stared there as Neville stood and walked towards Professor McGonagall. 

"Yes ma'am?" He asked when he reached her. The silence in the Great Hall as he talked to her scared him. With every eye on him, he felt like he was about to faint.

"Come with me," she said as she walked around him and began to walk out of the Great Hall. He swallowed as he followed her. He looked around until his eyes locked with Luna's, who was looking at him with a smile. 

"Good luck!" She mouthed at him as she showed him a thumbs-up. He slightly grinned and continued to walk out of the Great Hall. He heard it erupt with noise once he had rounded the corner. He followed Professor McGonagall towards the Headmaster's office, where she stood at the door and said the password "sherbet lemon." She sits behind the desk and gestures for Neville to sit across from her. When he sits down, she picks up a piece of paper and begins to study it through her thin-rimmed glasses. 

"Neville, you're the only Gryffindor that is staying for the rest of the school year," she finally said once she set the paper down. "Are you sure you still want to stay?" He pretended to sit back and think about it, yet he already knew his decision. He was staying if Luna was.

"Yes, I'm sure," he said after about thirty seconds. 

"Very well then." Professor McGonagall sighed and began to scribble a few things onto the piece of paper. "If you are wanting to stay, you will need to transfer to the Ravenclaw house. We don't have the need to monitor the Gryffindor tower if there's only one person living in it, so you shall be staying in the Ravenclaw tower for the rest of the term. I suggest always entering with a friend so you don't get stuck asking the difficult question needing to be answered." She then handed him a piece of paper that stated that he had permission to enter the Ravenclaw tower. "Take that paper to Professor Flitwick!" She added as he began to leave the office. 

"Maybe this last month is going to be better than I thought!" He re-joyed to no one in the hall.