Chapter One

Aline looked around the dim room, staring at her shut door. She couldn't be found. It was a no-go situation. If she was found, she would be done for. This was a matter of life and death. This was her moment of truth.

Her wings were pressed uncomfortably underneath the bed, her tail wrapped around her left leg to keep it from poking out underneath. Aline bit her lip when her door started to creep open. It stopped halfway open on her carpet. After a few moments, two feet came into view from her position. They danced around the room, opening up closets and hampers to try to find the lost fae.

Aline pressed her head onto the carpet, trying not to sneeze. Dust bunnies were rampant under her bed and at this point, she really wished that she had cleaned out underneath her bed. Then again, she didn't know she'd be hiding under her bed. She didn't know that she would be cramped for space, barely able to breathe without wanting to cough at the dust flying into her lungs.

The feet stopped moving right in front of her bed.

Aline held her breath, trying to make herself smaller. It was no use. She was caught. She should've hidden somewhere else.

The fae dropped to all fours and pressed their face against her carpet, peering underneath the dark bed. Aline could see their dark green hair from here, eyes determined to find her. They scanned underneath the bed.

Maybe the fae wouldn't see her. That would be great. Then she could find another spot to hide. Aline and the seeker locked eyes and Aline widened hers.

Then a hand shot forward and grabbed her arm, making Aline shriek. "Let me go!"

"I found you, Aline!"

Aline heard her sister's voice chime through her shriek and she sighed, letting herself sneeze. "Okay, you win," Aline grumbled. She crawled out from underneath her bed and stretched, fluttering her dragonfly wings. Behind her, her tail snapped to get out from its curled position around her leg.

"You really suck at this game, Aline. I always win." Her sister pouted, crossing her arms. Unlike her and her mother, Sylvie and her father had dark green butterfly wings that seemed to flash with color each time they fluttered them.

Aline laughed, sitting on her bed. She pulled Sylvie close to her and kissed her forehead, earning a groan in disgust at the show of affection.

"Ew, gross! Dad! Aline's being gushy again with me!" Despite her harsh tone, Sylvie's pine green eyes showed nothing but love for her older sister.

Aline rolled her eyes. "Come on Syl. Want to go again?"

Sylvie shook her head at the offer. "No thanks. I have some stupid silk work to be doing." She made a face, her tail lowering at the thought of having to sew more clothing for practice.

"You let father hear what you're saying and you'll be doing double that silk work for a week," Aline warned, wagging her finger at her sister. Aline looked up at her doorway and grinned, seeing her father standing there with an amused smile on his face.

"You know young lady, if you continue to act like that then no one will have you as an apprentice," her father's voice rumbled, making Sylvie turn around.

"Sorry, dad," she muttered, dropping her shoulders. "It's just so boring! It's the same technique every day!"

Beau thought for a few moments before smiling. "How about we let you try to stitch something together for Aline before she heads off to be a Traveler?" Beau said, holding up a pristine silver envelope in his hands.

Aline didn't hesitate to launch forward, snatching the letter out of his hands. She flew around the room, clutching the letter to her chest as if it were the last thing she'd ever have in her life. This was her chance to become a Traveler--no, become a Dreamweaver. Just like her mother had been.