Chapter Fifteen

When Aline came to, she realized that she had something shoved in her mouth. She also figured out that her hands and legs were bound. At least she could see again. Her mind was a mess, though, pounding and screaming for her to panic.

She had to stay calm. Panicking would be the worst thing to do to herself. She could barely breath as is, with whatever it was shoved in her mouth.

In the dim lighting, she could make out multiple fae in front of her. Her first thought was that she had been kidnapped by Dreamlooters, but they didn't look like Dreamlooters, unless they really were as reckless as fae said to come into Somnium.

They said they had been looking for Hain, but she didn't have anything to do with Hain. Nor Hallee or Quill. What did they want with them and Hain? It made it worse that she couldn't speak. She tried to push whatever was lodged in her mouth with her tongue, but they had tied it behind her head to keep it in.

The first person stepped forward and she felt massive relief flood over her. Radin. Her eyes widened as she tried to say something to no avail.

He stood there, arms crossed. "Aline? Are you awake?"

Aline nodded, staring up at Radin. She watched as he knelt down and pulled the gag out of her mouth. She sucked in the fresh air, feeling herself start to calm down at the sight of him. "Radin, oh thank goodness--"

"Where's Hain?"

"...What?" Aline whispered. "What do you mean where's Hain? I don't know," she said, watching him narrow his eyes. Panic overtook her and she shook her head, trying to squirm away. "No, I don't know," she whispered. "Hallee and Quill and I don't know anything about Hain, please, let me go."

"Aline, if you tell us where he is at, nothing will happen. We'll let you go and everything will be fine." Radin managed to smile.

"Can't you just find him on your own?" Aline asked, watching a fae peek her head out of the shadows. Her heart felt like it was going to stop beating. "Is that..."

The fae said nothing, peering at her. "Hmm?"

Aline's mind spun. That had to be the knight that had been killed--but there she was, standing alive as ever with a venomous look in her eyes.

"I can't find him. It's as if knew we're looking for him," Radin said, shrugging. "Suit yourself, Aline." He shoved the gag back into Aline's mouth and she widened her eyes. "You guys know the rules. One hit each and then we ask her again. Head is off limits until she won't break."

Aline widened her eyes, feeling sweat drip down her temples. She watched in horror as Radin lifted his foot and brought it into her stomach. She howled through the gag, doubling over. Her forehead touched the pavement as pain flooded through her. Drool dripped from the gag onto the ground, tears starting down her cheeks.

She couldn't even identify all the fae that were around her, unable to with the dim lighting and the jeers being whispered around her. Unless they stood still in front of her, she couldn't see their faces as they kicked at her.

The next fae yanked her head up, and she found herself staring at Valda, navy eyes dull and cold. Aline shook her head, tears spilling out from her eyes. She attempted to plead, only met with a choked out sob.

It was useless. Valda shoved her fist into Aline's stomach and she grunted, choking on her spit. She could barely breathe, feeling her chest constrict.

Another fae stepped forward, lifting her foot.

Aline could do nothing. Pain flooded her senses. Everything impaled her stomach. She watched as the foot came across in an arc and kicked her directly in the ribs. She fell to the side before being yanked upright again.