Chapter Twelve

Aline blinked her eyes to see who it was. Thankfully it was Kael standing there, his navy ponytail stark against the moonlight. "Kael," Aline whispered, glancing down to Hallee. "Here I..."

Kael grabbed onto Hallee and carefully held her so her wings weren't brushing against his body. He hesitated for a moment before sticking out his other hand to her. "Grab my hand."

Aline didn't waste a moment and grabbed onto it tightly. In a few moments, they were back on Cibyrnn, Hallee still safely in the arms of Kael. "Are you alright?" Kael asked, looking over to Aline. He shifted so Hallee could be comfortable.

Aline brushed off the question. "Will Hallee--"

"You didn't get the dreams, did you?" Ece's voice bit into her already fragile mind.

Aline turned to see Ece standing there, arms crossed. "Hallee is hurt, Ece. I couldn't just let her get killed by a cat while I go to the dreamcatcher," she said, putting a hand to her chest. "I'm not one to leave my friends behind."

Kael cleared his throat, looking to Ece. "Aline is right, Ece. My apprentice is hurt. Your apprentice could've been harmed as well."

Ece fumed, fluttering her wings. "And whose fault is that? Not my apprentice, and it doesn't seem to be yours either, so we could've gotten there faster," she snapped. "The only reason we managed to find you both was because we got a warning that the map had been destroyed."

Ece and Kael both looked to Daffodil. Daffodil was furious, her face red as she turned to stare at Quill. It looked like he had been crying.

"I'm sorry," Quill whined. "I was...I was so scared. I couldn't do it!"

Daffodil grabbed his arm and pulled him into the shadows, but despite that, everyone could hear Daffodil yelling at him. "You cannot abandon your friends like that. Do you understand? A Traveler, especially a Dreamweaver, is a brave fae, not one that runs when they're frightened. I can't believe that I had to go and get you while these two were still on Earth! A team! Do you understand teamwork?"

Kael shook his head at the yelling fae, turning back to Aline. "Would you like to accompany me?" he asked Aline, a small smile on his face. "I understand that you two are close."

Aline nodded and followed him, wondering how he lifted her up effortlessly. Hallee hadn't even said a remark about being carried in her mentors arms. "Is...will Hallee be okay?" she asked again.

"We'll have to see. I'm not sure myself. I just hope Quill goes through the punishment that suffices for possible wing damage." Kael looked at Aline out of the corner of his eye and managed to force a smile. "Even if Ece is a little angry at you, I'm not. I'm glad you chose Hallee over dreams There are plenty more dreams. There's only one Hallee."

Aline nodded, trying to keep up with Kael's fast pace. They were approaching the kingdom at a rapid speed, zipping past the guards at the entrance and into Curare Square. None of them bothered to ask why they had been out or if the fae in Kael's arms was okay.

"Are you sure we'll be able to get someone to treat her?" Aline asked, landing on her feet. Her wings hurt, but she had no room to complain.

"We will," Kael said, moving Hallee to hold her in a single arm. "Dr. Geraldine?" he called out.

The door automatically opened at the voice of Kael. A tired looking older fae came to the door, her navy hair in a frizz. She forced a smile at the sight of Kael before it faltered at the fae in his arms. "Did you end up seducing another one, Kael? Get her too drunk off Mist to walk?" Her thin eyebrow raised at the other girl standing behind him.