Chapter Eighteen

A few weeks later and Aline was out of the house with Hallee, much to the joy of her family. It thrilled them, Aline knew, that she was acting as much as she could like her old self again.

Aline grinned, waving to everyone who'd passed by her. She had met Hallee near Geraldine's office, seeing Hallee leave the doctor's home with a small hug to the fae. Aline hadn't asked about the bout of affection, either. Hallee had her reasons.

"Well, you're cheerful," Hallee remarked. "How is your stomach? Or your ribs?"

Aline waved her hand away. "It's okay. I'm just a little sore but I'll end up fine." Aline watched Halle's shoulders droop for a second before rising. "Everything okay?"

Halle's tail whisked back and forth for a moment. "Yeah I just...I'm so sorry how I barely visited you! I know even Quill visited, and he's busier than I am--I'm a horrible friend." Hallee spewed out her apology, trying her best for Aline to forgive her. "I had to help Geraldine with things in my free time and Kael was making sure I knew what to do in dangerous situations and--"

Aline put a hand on Hallee's shoulder and gave her a reassuring smile. "It's fine, Hallee. I'm just happy to be out of my room and that house. Besides, you were busy and I don't hate you for that. At all. If you're bad, I don't know what I am."

Hallee laughed, the tension leaving her slightly. "Right, right."

Aline tapped her shoulder, giving a smile. "What's up with the lockdown? Is it over yet?"

Hallee shrugged. "Apparently, the mentors are meeting with Queen Maeve and Princess Wen to discuss when the lockdown will be ended. I've heard rumors it'll be soon, but we'll have to get escorts for ourselves if we leave," Hallee said. "Power has been sparse recently with only the Dream Weavers allowed to leave the premises."

"How do you know all of this?" Aline asked, looking around the square. "Have you been gossiping?"

Hallee almost burst out laughing at her accusation. "If you knew what fae call me, you would know why I never gossip. I heard these things from Geraldine. She gets a lot of knight patients and the supposed royals. Even saw--" Hallee cut herself off, face going stony. "Nevermind. Nonetheless, that's where I heard it from."

"What have you been called?" she asked, touching Hallee's hand. She would know firsthand about being called things behind her back. She knew how painful it was.

Hallee seemed hesitant at first before pulling Aline into a shadowed part of the square. Fae flew by them with no knowledge of them existing, much too busy thinking or dealing with their things than to observe two teen fae hovering in a shadowed corner.

"Hallee?" Aline said, trying to comfort her the best she could. She could only do so much. She knew that sometimes the words were too loud to hear the truth.

"They've called me much worse, but..." Hallee smoothed back her hair and forced a smile despite her pain-filled eyes. "Ever since Radin and I had something, they've called me a slut and a whore and..." Hallee trailed off, clutching her arms together. She just ended up shaking her head and backed up against the wall. "I didn't want to but I thought that maybe...maybe he would love me more if I did. The morning after he just broke up with me and told everyone that I forced him."

Aline landed in front of Hallee, pulling her in for a hug. "It doesn't matter what they say. You know you're not. I know you're not. Quill and...Hain know you're not, either."

"I know--it just hurts. They look at me like I've murdered a child." She rubbed her face with her hands. "God, Aline. I'm sorry, I know you must be confused about Hain and everything else..."