Chapter Nine

Sylvie dragged Aline the whole way to their house--Aline couldn't even stop by the castle to see if Hain was done. They passed by it so quickly that she could barely glance at the fae flooding out of the building.

Not to mention Hallee. She needed to see if her family ever came to get her. She did promise her that she could spend the night at her place if they didn't show. Maybe Quill would as well, if she could even find them.

"Syl, stop," Aline snapped, yanking her hand out of Sylvie's grip. She immediately felt bad at Sylvie's expression. "Syl, I just need to check if Hallee's parents visited her. I promised her that she could spend the night, and Quill might come too, if he wants to--"

Sylvie's eyes narrowed at her. "This isn't about mom isn't it? You weren't crying about mom. You never cry about mom." She turned around again, back stiff.

Aline paused, feeling her mouth go dry. "What? Sylvie, I was talking about Hallee, not mom."

Sylvie didn't turn around. Her wings fluttered in agitation, the same way their mothers had. "Well, I'm talking about you crying on the edge of the city gates. It was about those stupid rumors again, wasn't it? What Jay said about you?"

"Sylvie, listen, you don't know anything about it. Stop it." Aline put a hand on Sylvie's shoulder but she threw Aline's hand off. "What's wrong?" They both knew that Sylvie was right.

Sylvie sniffled. "You're always like this. You think that we're in our own little worlds and we don't hear or see you being so sad all the time. Why do you think we moved before? It was to make you happier. It didn't work, I guess," Sylvie said. "Come home if you want to, Aline."

Aline watched as Sylvie sped off. She felt tears prick at the edges of her eyelids, rubbing them furiously. Her cheeks were already red enough; she didn't need them being even more red than before.

Sylvie didn't understand--they had their own problems. Aline could take care of her own emotions. They were hers, after all. Even if they were messy sometimes, it was up to her to take charge and fix them. It was her duty, almost, to make her family worry less. She'd have to act happier now--pretend nothing's wrong. She couldn't burden them, or her friends, anymore. She'd take care of her emotions without them.

"Siblings, am I right?"

A scoff of disbelief before, "Hallee, Aline's upset, you shouldn't just--"

Aline turned around to see Hallee and Quill behind her, Hallee's elbow on Quill's shoulder. "Hallee! Quill!"

"So, what was that fight about?" Hallee asked. "Something about you being sad? You're not sad are you? Something bothering you?" She peered forward, staring into Aline's eyes. "Don't you lie to me, girl. I'll kick your ass once I kick theirs."

Quill sighed and shook his head. "Hallee, back off. She needs space. She just got into a fight," he reminded her.

Hallee huffed, ruffling Quill's hair with a lopsided grin. "Alright, alright, but I'm serious," she said, eyeing Aline.

Aline shook her head and avoided Hallee's terrifying gaze. "I'll...no. I'm fine. If something was wrong I'd--"

"Fine. You don't have to tell me now, but tell me later, understood? So where's your house?" Hallee asked.

Quill gave another groan. "Hallee, come on--"

"Quill," Hallee mocked, sticking her tongue out at Quill, who went red at her behavior. She gave a grin to Quill before focusing back on Aline. "So, uh, your home? My parents never came, so," she admitted, scratching the back of her neck with her free hand.