4. The Encounter

AN: This is one of my favorite gifs of him. I don't know why. How's everyone enjoying the story so far?

One week later...

The fresh air on Kuat breathed new life into Talia as she stepped foot off of the Imperial transport ship. Unlike Coruscant, the air was pleasant and clean. The winters on Kuat were cold and wet, but that didn't stop its citizens from going out and setting up merchant shops. The city of Pikula buzzed with life. Talking, laughing, yelling, children playing, all of the sounds bounced off of the buildings and broke the silent barrier of the forest all around them. Talia straightened out her Imperial uniform before relishing her surroundings.

The moderate temperature made great weather. The plains and forests that surrounded them provided the best land for live stock and flee markets. The forests deemed good for keeping hidden if one needed to. No hunting ever took place on Kuat. Most of the predatory species have either been wiped out, or deep far enough into the ocean to stay hidden. At night, the stars seemed so close, yet so far. The two moons, Bador and Ronay, lit up the night sky, almost like they wanted to steal the show away from the stars.

Talia peered up at the tall buildings that loomed over her as she walked down a crowded street. They weren't as tall or magnificent as Coruscant's, but they held a sense of pride and culture. The walls were decorated in different symbols, murals, and past rebellions; most were painted with homemade paint, and others with blood of the fallen rebels and civilians. The Empire once fought to cover all of the art; it was met with arguments until the senator stepped in. Erasing a planet's culture seemed to be the line the Empire wouldn't cross. Either that, or the senator was an expert in persuasion.

The thoughts swam around in Talia's head, clouding her attention until she reached the drop site, hidden in an alley behind a small, local watering hole. There was no questions or unwanted attention. The tavern was full of Imperial workers, too sober to go home, yet drunk enough to stay off the streets. Imperials always received dirty looks, glares, and more. Sometimes the drunk ones would get angry and start fights with the civilians. Talia hissed lowly as she exhaled, recalling some unwanted memories. Her hatred for the Empire grew every day, fueling her need for revenge even more.

The brick in the wall was easy enough to move, revealing a small pocket. Talia glanced around, observing the dimly lit alley for anyone. She was in a dark corner, barely enough sight for anyone to see from the street. The coast seemed clear enough. She dug into her pocket, and pulled out a small memory drive device. The information on the little thing provided some rather good intelligence for the Alliance.

Before she could drop it in the pocket in the wall, the nozzle of a small blaster pushed up against the small of her back. She stood up straighter, but didn't make another move. A low voice spoke up, "Who are you?"

That accent...I recognize it. Talia closed her eyes, her lips forming a tight line. She never wanted to see this guy again, not after what he did. Not after what he said. This man was a fool, someone who believed killing was the only option. Working with people like that was poisonous. She responded in a calm and collected way, "You're that guy I came across the other day."

Cassian hesitated, but still kept his gun to her back. His eyebrow twitched in recognition. Her voice sounded familiar, but then again, so did everyone else he met on the street. He's been to too many places in so little time. She could've been anyone, especially an Imperial. He pushed the gun into her skin and got closer to her, lowering his voice to a more menacing tone. "How do you know that?"

"I'd know that accent anywhere." It was a unique accent. One she hadn't heard from anywhere she's ever been. "I met you last week."

Five days ago. Where was I? Rhen Var? Dantooine? Bespin? Coruscant...of course. She's the Rebel spy. The Captain slowly took his blaster off her back and set it to his side, allowing the woman to turn around. It is her. The big brown eyes, brown hair in a bun, sleek composure, it was hard not to remember, especially after the stunt she pulled. His eyebrows scrunched upwards in confusion. "Why are you in an Imperial uniform?"