27. Built on Hope

AN: This chapter is long, but I couldn't cut it into two parts. But hopefully this makes up for the lack of updates so far! I've finally figured out the rest of the path, so I'm working on getting this done. This chapter is dedicated to NarnianHobbit for making my heart feel all warm and fuzzy with their comments. <3 

"Get out of there!" Cassian yelled over comms.

Talia quickly ducked behind one of the consoles. The TIE shot into the room, causing bolts to crash into the wall. Cinders of fire and the stark smell of burnt ozone rushed her senses. The TIE arced upwards in order to circle back a minute or two later. That was the time she had to take action. She pushed the button on her comms device. "The Empire cannot get into this lab. It'll destroy lives."

Cassian's panicked voice boomed over the device's speaker, "What are you doing?"

"I have a backup plan!" Talia hopped over the table and quickly dove over. She moved to another spot, one much closer to the storage safe's door and opened it. The door shot open, revealing all of the technology. The TIE took its time in coming back around, the high pitched screeching pierced the air. It wasted no time when it aimed and fired. Talia ran across the scorched lab, trying to step over growing fires and debris. The blaster fire shot the storage area, causing some devices to blow up. Talia threw herself behind a desk and ducked. Debris flew out of the safe, and the whole building shook. More items fell off and came crashing down right onto Talia's arm. She cried out, but didn't hear it. All she felt was white hot pain jolting up her arm. All of the explosions and blaster fire had caused her hearing to hear just a sharp noise. Her comms unit lit up like crazy. Cass must have been losing his mind trying to contact her, but there wasn't time.

Talia managed to squeeze through between a desk and some debris. She coughed and looked through the gaping whole in the window. The TIE kept circling back for more. She picked up the small device General Lerga had given her and pushed a few buttons. Turrets came out of the walls on either side of the safe room and aimed at the window. Droid reprogramming at its finest. Talia smirked to herself. When the TIE got close, the turrets fired, giving her cover until she could get close enough to throw the thermal detonators.

Ting!

The thermals stuck to the TIE. When it got too close, the pilot immediately pulled upwards. With a large boom, the whole building shook beneath Talia's feet. She steadied herself and darted for the stairs. As she rushed down, her skin burned as if it were on fire. A cry escaped her lips, but she managed to push forward without a second thought. She had to get to Cassian and Kaytoo.

Armed forces forged their way into the other tower. Talia's heart dropped and she pushed her way through the edge of the battlefield. The earth rumbled below her, and her hearing came back with every step. She pushed the button on her comms device and spoke into it, "Cassian? Can you hear me?" When nothing came through, she looked down at it to see it lighting up in response. The speaker had been damaged. She shoved it in her pocket and focused on getting to the tower. She needed to help them.

The crushing pain in her legs threatened to take her down, yet she pushed forward with more determination. The battlefield was hot. So hot that Talia could barely feel the coolness of her sweat. Bombs detonated nearby and blaster shots were fired. She dodged all of it and dove for cover. The smoke and ash jogged her memories of when she was thrown across the battlefield a year ago. That felt so long ago. The fear trembled her bones and put her into shock. Now? Now all she feared was that she wasn't going to make it to Cassian and Kay-Tuesso in time.

Not too far from the building were a few soldiers trying to avoid the oncoming fire. Talia rushed up to them and called out, "There's a squad of plastic boys infiltrating the tower!" She pointed to the last of the troopers going into the tower. The soldiers nodded and followed suit to ambush them from behind.