11. Dantooine Base

AN: Throwback to the original Mothma! :D I'm trying to get back into writing regularly...so hopefully this is good. 

Cassian hit the metal flooring of the ship, causing a loud thump. Talia hurriedly got out of her chair and knelt down next to him, cringing as pain shot up her hurt leg. She pushed it aside for a moment and checked for a pulse. She couldn't find a pulse in his neck, so she checked his wrist. Barely...but he's alive.

Talia grabbed onto the pilot's chair and hoisted herself up. She put on the communications headset and pushed a few buttons to open the line. Her brown eyes glanced down at the helpless rebel in worry. Why did he have to be so stubborn? He knew he was injured...yet he still went along with the mission. I don't know if that's dedication, or just foolishness. Either way, the mission was a success. She thought he would be proud at the accomplishment. "This is Captain Andor's copilot. He's fainted from overexertion, and I need assistance."

One of the pilots responded immediately, "Guide the ship in after us. We'll get him help as soon as we land." He ended the transmission to send another out to the base for medical assistance.

The ship jerked out of hyperspace and stopped before a planet covered in different hues of greens and browns. Clouds swirled over the atmosphere and revealed hints of blues that could've been considered oceans or seas. The X-Wings steadily flew down to the right, following the flight path to the base.

A rough excitement built up in her system. Being at an official Rebel base for the first time seemed exhilarating. All those people, the work, the mission...they were building a better future for the children of today. Talia couldn't think of anything more noble. The aircrafts flew over the lush green forest and grassy terrain of Dantooine.

Then, there it was.

A giant wall surrounded the exterior of the base and formed a square with rounded corners. The main building sat directly in the middle of the base, and a large hangar attached to it. Other hangars were scattered around along the other corners of the field alongside the watchtowers. Other buildings were scattered around, for what Talia could only assume as housing and storage.

The team landed in the main hangar, setting all the ships down carefully without hitting any pilots at work. The hangar was large on the inside as well, and some rather tattered-looking ships sat along the wall. Newer fighter ships were brought to the front, ready to go in case of an attack. Pilots, mechanics, and more busy bodies scurried around the hangar at work, until they noticed the new X-Wings file in.

Talia let out a short breath, a tinge of a smile playing on her lips. I'm here. I'm actually here... Her bright emotions faded away once she attempted to stand. Pain surged through her leg, causing her to wince and quickly grab a hold of the pilot's chair. Her free hand pushed a few buttons on the console, allowing the freighter door to open.

Rebels of all race types piled into the ship. Dressellians, Shistavanens, Bothans, Sullustans, Iakarus, Lasats, and Sabats, and more were seen among the crowd of many faces. Some helped heave Captain Andor to medbay. Others held cleaning supplies, ready to clean up the blood and grime that was left behind. Talia motioned for aid, and two rebels stepped forward. A blue male Twi'lek grabbed one arm and put it over his shoulder, while a female human did so on the other side.

Talia's heart ached when she saw the Twi'lek. She hadn't seen one in forever, not since... A thought sprang up in her mind as they exited the ship, and she quickly spoke up, "I need you two to guide me to medbay. I have to close my eyes."

"Ma'am?" The Twi'lek questioned in confusion. He turned his head slightly to look at her, but saw the resolution on her expression. She wasn't going to change her mind.