Chapter 6

The entire team minus JJ had decided to meet in the briefing room to go over what they had found out so far. Hotch decided that they needed to organise themselves more in order to really crack this case and find out where about Angus Sinclair was hiding and what his next move would be. Or rather who he'd be going after and where he kept her. 

So far it was clear that Angus Sinclair was originally from Scotland, Britain. He had very little family growing up, just himself and his mother. What the team wasn't completely sure on however is how himself and his mother ended up in the States when they have no family over here in the first place. Why the sudden decision to get up and leave Britain. Could it be that Angus just wanted to move, a change in scenery? No-one is entirely sure but what is known is that over here he met Sandy Jareau and they got married. Garcia had found out that they married the Winter of 01. This was 4 years before JJ joined the team. Where the pair still married when she joined us, that the team were unsure on. 

Going on the fact that Angus Sinclair has no father listed anywhere in his records it can be predicted that he never knew his father or if he did they no longer stay in contact. Hotch predicts abuse and the rest of the team agree. There has to be a trigger within Angus that ended with him turning into a monster. However, that trigger is unclear to the team right now. What made him come to the states in 98? And what sins has he done to the Jareau family that would result in JJ pretending that she doesn't know him and cannot provide any help or insight into this case? 

The team had decided that in order to gather more information on Angus Sinclair they had to talk to the people who knew him. Obviously JJ wasn't a good option because she wasn't likely to open up about her life with him before she joined the team and as far as his mother went, she hadn't been seen or recorded doing anything in several years, not even a trip to the supermarket. Therefore, the only other option left would be Sandy. 

The next morning Morgan and Emily would drive the short journey over to East Allegheny to speak to JJ's mother. 

With Morgan and Emily:

The morning came around pretty quickly and before they knew it it was already 7am. They both agreed that in order to have enough time they had to leave by half past 7. 

"Hey Morgan do you actually think this is going to be worthwhile? There must be a pretty damn good reason that JJ didn't want to take this case in the first place and I'm going to put my bets on Ms Jareau reacting in the same way when we bring up Sinclair."

" Well we're bound to get something out of her about this scumbag. No matter how small it is it's going to be more than we'd get out of JJ or his mother so in my eyes the journey won't be wasted." 

" Yeah I get that but I'm just saying that maybe what we hear won't be something we want to. I mean come on Morgan we're both profilers and I'm sure what I'm thinking is probably the same thing that you are." 

"Well how about we let Ms Jareau confirm whether or not what we're thinking is correct. Anyway JJ doesn't portray any of the signs of someone who would of went through that kind of trauma. I think I would of seen it, Prentiss." 

"Morgan come on I'm not trying to say you would miss the signs or that you can't do your job properly I'm just saying that this is JJ's life that we're messing with here and we need to be careful. This isn't any old case." 

"Prentiss lets just go. If we don't leave now we're going to be late and you know Hotch won't thank us for that." 

Half an hour later Morgan and Emily arrived at Sandy Jareau's home. It didn't look like the house of horrors. It looked picturesque, like a typical American family home. But Morgan knew that a lot can go on behind closed doors, even if those doors and nicely painted and friendly. 

Sandy Jareau welcomed them both with open arms and a giant smile. It was hard to believe that she was once married to a man who is capable of murder. Sandy waved them towards the sofa and offered her entire kitchen to them. Emily knew that JJ and her mother didn't particularly see eye to eye and at this moment it was very hard to understand why. Ms Jareau came across as kind, caring and loving. Just as she was about to offer more tea and cake to Morgan and Emily, Morgan decided that it was time to ask about Angus Sinclair. After all they were here to find out about him and not eat all of Ms Jareau's food, even if it was particularly delicious. 

"So Ms Jareau, as you probably know we wanted to chat to you about Angus Sinclair. Do you know much about him?" 

Emily looked at Morgan suspiciously, they already knew that Ms Jareau and Angus Sinclair were married. Was Morgan trying to see if she would be truthful with what she was saying? That was the only explanation that Emily could think of. 

"Um yes we met online actually, back in 85. He seemed like such a normal man, so polite and pleasant. I suppose it's easy to hide your true self when you're behind a screen." 

Emily and Morgan just nodded at what she was saying, not wanting to pry on what happened but at the same time trying to show her that they had to know what kind of man he was like. 

"Well anyway, as I mentioned we started talking in 85. We chatted most days, he was interested in JJ and Rosaline. Wanted to know what kind of kids they were like and what their interest and hobbies were. I thought he was just wanting to get to know them, since their birth father isn't around I just presumed he wanted to show them that he didn't want to replace him or force them to call him their dad. Anyway he moved in with us in 87, JJ was 7 and Rosaline was 13.." 

Suddenly Emily cut Sandy off with the realisation that she had just stated that Angus had came to the states in 87, when originally they believed he had came in 98. 

"Sorry Ms Jareau did you say that Mr Sinclair came over in 1987?" 

"Why yes he did, is there something significant to that time?" 

"We believed that he first came over in 98, must of been a mistake."

Just as Emily mentioned 1998 Sandy's suddenly broke eye contact with her and looked at the floor. It only lasted a split second but it was enough time for both Emily and Morgan to notice that 1998 is an important year, if not for when Angus came to the States then for a completely separate reason. 

"Anyway myself and Angus got married in 2001. We then split in 2008 for reasons that I don't think I should repeat to you. It doesn't just involve Angus and I.  Angus didn't believe in marriage hence why we were dating for so many years before he proposed. I was very surprised when he did propose and said yes straight away. If I had known what he was really like I would never of said yes. By that time Rosalie had already passed and JJ had left home. She left home in 2000, straight after I had agreed to marry Angus. At the time I was furious with her, I called her every name under the sun and told her that she could take herself and...take herself away. That's all." 

Morgan and Emily glanced at each other a few times, voicing their concern over what happened to JJ and Ms Jareau as well as Rosalie for the short period of time that she was alive. They wanted to press on but decided to leave it at that. They said their goodbyes then left for the hotel to go over what Ms Jareau had told them.