The stranger

I sat in my garden talking to bob, my frog, as I read the latest story daddy brought me from town. "Why does the prince always rescue the princess?" I asked bob, who gave me a croak as a reply. I continued to read spending my day in the garden as always. The sun shone down and I smiled at the sounds of the farm animals going about their day happily. Daddy would be back in a couple of hours and I would make tea for us like always. My dad worked in town which was a fifty minute drive down the thin country lane that led to our farm. I stood up closing my book before checking on all the animals like always. Daddy would get up in the morning to feed them while I studied, I was home schooled. At eleven daddy would say goodbye and head into town to work, getting back at eight o'clock. It was now seven o'clock so I made my way inside to start preparing dinner, I placed Bob in his bowl of water on the kitchen side and began chopping vegetables. Through the window I spotted a car headlight driving up the driveway. "Who do you think that is?" I asked bob, knowing that it wasn't my dad.

I watched intrigued as the car stopped and a figure stepped out slamming the door aggressively behind them. I watched worriedly as the figure began hitting their car door before slumping on the floor with their head in their hands.