I need you

Seventy Seven pound is a lot to spend on a train ticket.

When she called I didn't hesitate to jump on the next train and travel the 200 miles to Liverpool. She told me she needed me. That is all I have ever wanted her to say.

Since we were kids Chloe and I had been neighbors, I followed her around like a lost puppy and blushed whenever she hugged me. We walked school together and she would always smile at me in the hallways.

Moving away was the hardest thing I could do but she had made it clear that I would never have a chance with her. I was like her brother.

She got engaged last year and I moved away to London. We stayed in touch, emailing every couple of months. She told me about her happy life with ... Richard and I told her about my job embellishing all the bad parts.

I was happy in London, sure I had a boring job working at a desk and I lived in a rundown flat alone, but I was happy. I had never had a steady girlfriend, none of them were Chloe.

Last night she rang. She never rang. She was crying and all I heard was 'Richard cheated' and 'I need you'. I traveled all through the night not able to sleep. When I finally left the train station I ran to a taxi telling him the address as my phone buzzed in my pocket. It was a text from Chloe.

"It was all a misunderstanding. I won't be able to talk to you for a while. Richard is taking me on holiday."