XII. The Call

Belle had the phone in her hand as she waited for her dad to pick up the line. She was calling from her number, so she knew her dad would race to answer it once he saw it was her.

With Beast on the other side of the door to his study, giving her privacy, his mind was going ninety to nothing with thoughts of how Belle had actually tried today. She had endured so much trauma with James last night and had had no sleep yet, still wired from all the adrenaline and here she was, in his study, talking to him. She wore the gown from the closet... and most importantly, she hadn't been afraid of him, of his face. Only hours earlier, she had been ready to escape, his servants telling him of the talk she had had with Bartholomew upon her way to the front door. She hadn't cared who she hurt when she left - but he really couldn't blame her. She was seventeen, in modern times, and had a dad at home who knew nothing about her whereabouts. 

This made Beast think. It all seemed a little... too good to be true. It wasn't her, as if he did actually know her.. but it wasn't her usual reaction. Maybe she was just too tired to be her normal self.. or maybe she is growing a soft spot for him?

Or maybe... she has something up her sleeve. Beast pursed his lips, giving off a low growl from his chest. Normally, Belle would be kicking and screaming but... such a short time after his Lycan nearly killed her, she came to him, ready to share her story with him and then he told her about the rose. There were still some things he didn't know. He knew about her past now, and about James Gaston, why her dad is the way he is.. but he never knew why she moved here. It was because of James he was sure - but there was something else he wanted to know.

He decided he would give her the benefit of the doubt, but it was still all very fresh - once she got some sleep, her mind and mood would possibly change, resulting in her bad behavior once more. He couldn't expect much of her actually cooperating considering her past and the fact he knew nothing about girls and modern times.

He leaned against the wall outside the door of his study, Belle's words coming out clear to him due to his super hearing senses.

"Dad?" She choked out once he finally answered the phone.

Her dad let out a shaky breath. "Belle! Where are you! I've been worried sick! Are you hurt? Where are you, i'll come get you right now! I've had the cops and invest-"

Belle closed her eyes as she cut him off. "Dad. I'm fine. Promise. I'm sorry - I didn't mean to worry you."

A pause of silence came over the phone and she could almost see her dad making that face he did when he was confused. "Belle, what's going on?"

Inhaling sharply, Belle had already decided what she would tell her dad. She just hoped he believed it and she was sure that Beast was standing outside the door.. she was sure he had ultra good hearing with being a Lycan. "Dad, the day of the storm, I was knocked off my bike but I'm okay. My phone and everything was wet.. I don't know your number by heart.."

He sighed in relief. "Belle, God I have been so worried. It's been days! Where are you? Why didn't you have someone bring you home?"

This is where things were going to get tricky.

"Dad - I need to tell you something but don't freak out. James found me. He was in town.. " She knew that James was dead but she knew her dad would never say anything to anyone because that has been the fate he has always wanted for that man. 

Beast's eyes widened at her words. She told him? This could cause problems...

Her dad gasped. "What? Where is that sonofab-"

"Dad.. He's gone. We don't ever have to worry about him again. I escaped and he wrecked his car in the forest. I don't think anyone will ever find him... You can't say anything dad. Please. I don't want to go through more questioning... he didn't hurt me and everything is fine. I need an alibi though, because they will think I had something to do with it..."