Chapter 22 - Be Prepared

The next morning, Applejack and I are doing our usual chores out in the orchards as we finish bucking our last remaining apple trees for the day.  To my surprise, Applejack is more motivated than ever she clears out one tree after another.  And even though she's always in a happy mood when it comes to working on the farm, this time however, she's in even higher spirits than ever.  I can only imagine as to why that is considering what I've witnessed last night.

"So... I take it your date went well last night?" I ask her grinningly.

"Golly, Ford!  What can Ah say?" she responds ecstatically.  "It went off better than what Ah've expected!

"See, what did I tell you?" I boast mildly.  "If you just be yourself and have fun, it will all work out in the end!"

Suddenly, I am pulled in by Applejack for a nicely firm hug.  "Ya know, Ah can't thank ya enough for all that you have done for me last night!" she says to me with a gleeful smile.  "Ah owe ya big time for everything!"

"Nyah, don't worry about, AJ!" I respond humbly as I pat her back.  "I'm just glad to do whatever I can to help you two out!"

After her tight embrace, we finish applebucking our last trees before loading the fruitful baskets onto a wagon nearby.  As we load our baskets, I take a moment to consider on telling AJ the truth about my romantic interests with Rainbow Dash.  Sure, she'll more likely tease me about it like before, but seeing how Applejack has always been there to give me sound advice and support, I figure that she might be best to help me sort out my thoughts on this matter.

"Actually Applejack... there's something I want to talk about."

"What is it, sugarcube?"

"I think... I think I'm in love with Rainbow Dash." I confess hesitantly with a bashful blush.  She stares at me with a blank face for such a few second, but eventually, she breaks into that devious smile I used to despise so much.

"So, it took ya that long to figure it out, huh?" AJ says to me teasingly.  Usually that would bug me severely, but instead, I simple just roll my eyes before I began to chuckle.

"Okay okay, I get!" I reply with a chuckling smile.  "I've been a bit too stubborn to see it for myself, alright?

"Don't Ah know the feeling!" she chuckles to herself.  "Listen, Ford.  Ah know that Ah've teased ya a lot about this, but Ah'm really happy for you, and Ah'm glad to hear that you've finally admit it to yerself!  Ah hope you know that Ah only want what's best for you, that's all!"

I'm touched by her kind and honest words as I go up to her to give her a gratifying hug before saying to her sincerely, "Thanks, AJ."  In response, she just pats me on the back gently as she welcomes my embrace.

"So, have ya told Rainbow yet?" AJ asks after we finished our second hug.

"Well... no, not yet." I answer timidly.  "But last night, Rainbow Dash gave me an extra ticket to the Grand Galloping Gala, so I figure that this coming weekend might be the best opportunity for me to tell her my feelings."

"Hey, that sounds like a good idea!"

Soon enough, we finish loading all the baskets on the large, wooden wagon.  After strapping our harnesses, we steadily pull the wagon and its precious cargo back to Sweet Apple Acres.