Chapter 24 - The Hard Goodbye

Author's note: just so you know this is going to be very heartbreaking and also he needs to make the right decision if he goes or stays!

"What?" Rainbow says to me confusingly.

"I can't stay here." I rephrase my sentence gloomily.  "I... have to leave tomorrow morning."

I look down in grim silence over the ledge of the nightly balcony we are standing on.  I couldn't bear myself to look at Rainbow right now.  I can't imagine what her next reaction might be.

"Hey, that's great!" she says in surprising cheerfulness.  "That means you get to go home, right?"

"Yeah... right." I answer quietly.

"This is awesome!" Rainbow continues ecstatically as she hugs my unresponsive body.  "I'm really happy for you!  I guess that means you're also one step closer in getting your memories back, huh?"  I remain silent as I didn't even want to answer that for her.

"So Ford, when will you be coming back?" she asks me.

"That's the thing, Rainbow... I... wouldn't be coming back... at all."

"Like... in a while?"

"Like... forever."

After a brief pause, she exclaims shockingly, "FOREVER?!  B-b-but why?!"

"It's... it's complicated." I answer hesitantly.

"Did something happen back home?" she asks of me in concern.

"No, of course not, Rainbow, it's nothing like that!" I reassure her before sinking back into my misery.  "It's just... something I have to do... that's all."

"Well... that's okay!" Rainbow says with an optimistic grin.  "I can always visit you some other time!  Just tell me where you live and I'll be there ten seconds flat!"

"Rainbow... I don't think that's going to be possible."

"Of course it's possible!  You just pinpoint the location, and I'll be way ahead of you!"

"Rainbow, where I'm going, nopony can follow me."

"Nopony except me, of course!" she boasts as always.  "Or did you forget that I'm the fastest Pegasus in all of Equestria--!

"It doesn't matter how fast you are!" I snap at her.  "It's absolutely impossible for you or for anypony to follow me at all!"

"Why are you acting this way?" she asks me defensively.  I see the startled expression on her face when I snapped at her.  I instantly turn my head away from her as uncomfortable silence fills the air.
"Wait... there's more to this... isn't there?" she says to me.  No.  Don't do this to me, Rainbow.

With my head turned away from facing her intimidating gaze, I can hear her footsteps coming closer as I know for certain that she intends to get the answers herself.

"What is it that you're not telling me, Ford?" she interrogates me.

"I... I can't say." I uneasily respond.