10: Aftermath (Part 2)

"Come on, get up."

The lights flashed, bombarding Luke with an unexpected brightness. He grumbled, throwing a pillow over his face. "Turn it off, Leia!"

"No. Come on, time to get up. You're well enough to work today, and I feel like Uncle Owen's gonna blow a fuse if he spends one more day out there by himself with just me to help." Leia insisted, and Luke relented, sighing and sitting up slowly.

His injuries definitely didn't hurt as badly as they did the day before, when he was stuck in bed the entire day and could barely move without feeling pain. He was practically useless yesterday, and although it still hurt relatively badly to move around too much Luke was determined to do some good around the farm, not lay in bed another day.

"Okay, I'm up." He tried not to let the pain show in his voice and face, but he failed miserably as an automatic wince escaped him as he stretched and his stomach stretched as well.

Leia just sighed and shook her head. "You sure you're up for this? I don't want you getting hurt more than you already are. Besides, one more day of rest probably won't be too bad. Uncle Owen has me to help on the farm."

"But you just said...nevermind. The harvest is coming soon and he needs all the help he can get." Luke objected, much to Leia's frustration. "I can walk and move around just fine, but a little slowly. He won't notice a thing different about me except that my stomach still hurts, and that's not a lie."

"And what about your eye and cheek?" Leia accused, looking his face over.

Luke swore quietly. He had completely forgotten about his black eye for awhile, but now that Leia had reminded him of it it started throbbing again. Luke could see out of the eye now, but the vision was blurry and unfocused, and even though he could see it had barely swelled down enough for him to be able to use his peripheral vision very well.

"Well, for the cheek I can just say that... Uhh..." He trailed off, biting his lip. There were no accidents that ended in a cheek being gashed open. For the black eye he could just say that someone attacked him, which was not a lie. He guessed he could do that for the cheek too, but in all honesty Uncle Owen probably wouldn't care as long as Luke was actually able to help around the farm.

"I got punched." He stated lamely, and Leia chuckled.

"Yes. Yes you did." She responded quietly, and her smile melted into a grimace. Luke guessed she was still thinking about Malo, and even just thinking of his name put a sour taste in his mouth. He couldn't even imagine what thinking his name would be like for Leia.

"Well, you ready for breakfast?" He asked, attempting to break the silence and get his sister's mind off of their troubles.

Leia smirked. "I'm more ready to see Aunt Beru's reaction to your messed up face."

Luke made a face and started walking. "Yeah, yeah."

:-:-:-:

"Luke Skywalker what in blazes-!"

"Sorry, Aunt Beru, but when we were in the cantina the other night one guy punched me in the face after having a little too much to drink, and now I have a black eye because of it."

"But what about that big long line in your cheek?!"

Luke touched his cheek nonchalantly. "Oh, that? That's been there for awhile. I honestly don't even remember how that happened." He had looked in the mirror earlier and realized that the gash in his cheek had been stitched up so well that now it looked more like a scar, and he silently thanked Leia for her handiwork.

Aunt Beru ran up and hugged him in distress. Luke bit back a cry of pain as she rushed over to him and squeezed him, and his stomach. He squeezed his eyes shut and stood there stiffly, fighting back the pain growing near unbearable in his chest and stomache. It'll be over soon. It'll be over soon.