15: Unexpected Consequences

"I'm picking up something on the scanner, it may be our little R2 unit. Hit the accelerator!" Luke yelled to Threepio over the noise of wind and sand being thrown into their faces. Apparently Threepio knew how to pilot the speeder for some reason, so Luke was left with the scanner.

The two whizzed over the border of the homestead, and Luke felt a familiar chill trickle down his spine as they entered into the Jundland Wastes. He remembered when he and Leia were young, and they had been captured.

His grip on the scanner tightened. They weren't kids anymore, and he could handle himself in a fight. The scar on his cheek proved it.

They pulled into a small ditch where they could hide the speeder, and Luke stepped out quickly and grabbed his binoculars. He laid out against the ground and put them up to his eyes, remembering with a chuckle when he pranked Leia by putting a ring of black ink around her telescope.

"Uh oh." He muttered, focusing in on a bantha. "There's a bantha down there, saddled, but I don't see any Sand People."

He felt a small prick of danger at the back of his mind but pushed it away. As soon as he did, a blur passed through his binoculars and he lifted them away just enough to see a Sand Person holding his staff over his head and swinging it towards him.

Luke ducked and scrambled backwards, his natural instincts and adrenaline kicking in. He risked a glance backwards to see Threepio nowhere in sight, and silently wished he had brought his rifle with him.

Then a sharp blow on the back of the head pushed him into darkness.

:-:-:-:

Artoo watched fearfully from around a secluded area as Luke was dragged and dropped. He whistled in concern for his new master, because the human wasn't moving. Artoo knew enough about human behavior to realize that once a biological being was still for too long it wasn't good.

But suddenly the droid's audio function picked up a strange noise, and he turned his domed head to see a cloaked figure approach Luke. He whistled in fear, sinking back into his little hiding spot. But once the figure threw his hood up, Artoo realized it was the man he was looking for in the first place.

"Hello there." The aged man said, probably a bit surprised to see an astromech all the way out in the Jundland Wastes. Artoo beeped happily and rolled out to greet him, then whistled in concern as Master Luke groaned and opened his eyes.

"Ben? Ben Kenobi? Boy am I glad to see you!" Master Luke exclaimed, sitting up and rubbing his head. Artoo could say that he shared the human's sentiment, because he started moving back and forth on his two feet.

"You must be careful, young Luke." Ben warned, helping the boy up. "The Jundland Wastes is no place for either you or this droid."

He gestured to Artoo, and he beeped.

"The Sand People will be back soon. Come, my house is close by. We can talk there." Ben stated, and together the astromech, Luke, and the aged man walked over towards Luke's speeder.

However, Artoo stopped and whistled mournfully, noticing a familiar figure in the sand.

"Threepio!" Luke exclaimed, jogging over to the droid. His limbs were misplaced and not even attached to the poor droid, and after he found the droid's arms and legs he loaded them into his speeder and picked Threepio up with the help of Ben.

Afterwards Ben told Luke where to go to reach his home, and the four sped away.

:-:-:-:

"If he doesn't have those droids back in the fields by midday there'll be hell to pay." Uncle Owen snapped, walking out of the kitchen and into the living area. Leia swallowed hard and pretended to be focusing on fixing one of the many farm droids, when in reality she had fixed it long ago. Both twins had an affinity for fixing things, but Luke loved it much more while Leia was simply good at it.