18: Trash Compactors and Further Disasters

The first thing Luke felt upon falling into the garbage was water, or whatever liquid was in it. Wanting desperately for it to be water, Luke resigned himself to that and stood up, looking around him in disgust. He checked his blaster and made sure the power packs weren't water-logged, then pushed his shaggy hair out of his eyes before looking around more clearly.

Leia was up on top of a trash pile wrinkling her nose in disgust and looking helplessly at her stained white tunic and light brown pants while Chewie was roaring at the door and hitting it with his bowcaster.

"Chewie, move." Luke demanded, aiming at the door with his blaster. He fired, and immediately ducked as the bolt came right back at him and kept low as it whizzed around the room and eventually dissipated in the water.

"Nice job, numbnuts!" Leia hollered angrily, standing up and brushing her clothes while fixing Luke with an icy glare.

Luke just sighed and sheathed his blaster. "Nice to have you back." He muttered under his breath, shifting to the other side of the room as he heard Han's yells grow louder and realized that he was close to falling down on top of him.

Han fell into a particularly large pile of trash, and made a noise of disgust. Chewie grumbled something as he tried to get the door open, and Luke guessed that he was probably saying that it wouldn't budge. Leia was still wrinkling her nose at the smell, and she glared at Han when he glared back.

"What a wonderful smell you've discovered!" He snapped, his voice oozing with sarcasm. "Chewie, step out of the doorway."

Han wriggled out of the pile of garbage he landed in, and pulled out his blaster much to Luke and Leia's dismay.

"No, wait-!" Luke cried, but it was too late. Han fired and immediately the four ducked as the bolt whizzed around the room, hands on their heads and only looking up tentatively when the noise had stopped.

"Would you forget it? I already tried it; it's magnetically sealed!" Luke snapped, brushing his long hair out of his face and looking around for another way out. Leia, however, was much more enraged than her brother.

"Put that thing away or you're gonna get us all killed!" Leia yelled angrily, pointing at Han's blaster accusingly.

Han took on a mockingly compliant look. "Absolutely, Your Worship." Leia scowled at his insult, and then his face immediately turned angry again. "Look, I had everything under control until you brought us down here! You know it's not gonna take them very long to figure out what happened to us."

At this point Chewie let out a fearful grumble, and Leia fixed an angry stare on Han. "It could be worse."

Unfortunately for Leia at that exact moment something proved her wrong, and the walls creaked ever so slightly while the four of them looked around fearfully.

"There's something alive in here." Luke said urgently, the breath hitching in his throat as he searched the water for any proof.

Both Han and Leia had stopped bickering and listened skeptically, with Han scanning the water while Leia looked at her brother a little less doubtfully.

"It's just your imagination." Han replied confidently, but Luke and Leia both knew that maybe it wasn't just Luke's imagination. Neither could explain it, but they felt like something was about to happen.

But Leia ignored the feeling, instead joining Han in looking around for anything wordlessly but nevertheless feeling vulnerable now that she realized she was the only one in the group without a weapon.

Luke suddenly took a step back, scaring the wits out of both Han and Leia. "Something just moved past my leg."

"Look." Luke demanded, pointing into the water. "Did you see that?"