mate

"Do you think you've found him? Have you smelt anything odd?" Cynthia shouts over the blaring music and I realize that she is referring to my mate. 

"Nope. Nothing." I respond to her and she gives me an empathetic smile. I shrug at her. I've already said that I don't know how I feel about mates.

We continue dancing to some of the recognizable rap songs playing from the speakers. We grind against each other lightly, as any teenage wolves would do in a club. I feel a few eyes on us as we dance but I don't pay attention to them.

Suddenly, my nose twitches and I feel my wolf stiffen. I sniff through my nostrils and a strong scent hits my nose. It's not the sweat or strong cologne or perfume from the people on the floor. It's distinct. It's woodsy, slightly citrusy, and extremely fresh. My senses are overwhelmed and I feel intoxicated as the odour gets stronger.

It takes me a few seconds before my eyes widen in realization that my mate is in here and that is what I am sensing. 

I let my nose guide me and enhance my senses. Something takes over me and within moments, I find myself off the dance floor, in front of a random door of the club. 

I don't feel enough courage to just barge into a room so I kind stood out like there like an awkward creep. After about a minute of rustling in there I hear some voices.

"Fuck, babe. I forgot how good you are." I hear a girl moan out. Oh no. No no no no no no. Please do not tell me this is what I think this is.

"Ah shit, you're tight." I shiver once I hear that deep voice boom. That's him, that's my mate. Oddly enough, his voice sounds kind of familiar. 

I feel my heart constrict as I realize what's happening. My mate, the person I'm destined to be with for the rest of my life, is having sex with another. Making love to another wolf and I can't control it. My wolf whines in the back of my mind, she's hurting. She claws around at the ground and howls in rejection.

Bella, I'm sorry. I whisper to her and all she does in whine in response. My heart breaks for her. My wolf and I are extremely close and bonded.

Before I break my heart any further, I walk away from the door, my throat constricted, tears threatening to spill with my head down. I trip on the stairs a few times before I finally stumble upon the girls, who are dancing in a circle.

I run up to them and grab them to the centre of the floor. I don't say a word as they all question me and ask if I've found my mate. Thankfully the song that the DJ is playing changes to something a bit easier to dance to. Ignition.

It's a popular song in the mortal world and most wolves prefer older songs as we all are invested in our history and ancestors. Although this song is far from historical, it is quite old.

As the song continues to progress the girls and I grind on each other lightly, also slightly tipsy. 

We giggle as we have the time of our lives, being absolutely silly. Soon enough, I feel some hands grip onto the sides of my hips and I jump at the contact. I turn around immediately, growling at whoever touched me and I'm met with meathead- oops, Luke.

"Hey, bitch." He smirks at me and I roll my eyes with a smile on my face. 

"Hey, meathead." I tell him with a sly smirk on my face.

"So, you gotta tell me, where did you learn to play pool like that?" He asks me as he runs his hands up down the length of my body and I feel slightly uncomfortable. 

"Um, I've got a table at home and I play a lot." I give him a simple response and he raises his eyebrows at me.

"Wanna get a drink?' He asks me and I pause, looking back at the girls and they all shoo me, encouraging me to get the drink with him. I chew on my bottom lip lightly before nodding at him. He grins at me and gestures for me to walk in front of him. He places his hand on the small of my back as I squeeze my way through the crowd.