getting better

"Will you let me braid your hair?" I ask Matt as he plays with my blanket. We're both sitting on my bed as I scroll through my phone and he aimlessly lays down.

"No." He grunts out and I scowl at him, not caring that he said no. I get up, pull him towards me and lay his  head down on my lap. Ignoring his complaints I run my fingers through his hair and begin french braiding his short hair.

"OW! Ow! Ah-DAKOTA THIS HURTS!" He moans out and I laugh at him loudly.

"Shh just let it happen! I'll massage your head after..." I mumble as I concentrate on creating the braids. This is super difficult on short hair.

"Whatever." He grumbles like a child and crosses his arms over his chest defiantly. I roll my eyes at him and continue braiding his hair.

I finish braiding his hair about five minutes later and I tie it with a hairtie. I ask him to turn towards me and I let out a giggle at how ridiculous he looks. This look does not suit him at all.

"Stop!" He scowls and I continue laughing at him, clutching my stomach, "STOP! I can't seriously look this ridiculous." He mumbles to himself and pulls out his phone to take a picture of his hair. As soon as he sees it his eyes widen and he growls, looking at me with anger in his eyes.

I gasp and quickly run out of the room once he makes a move to lunge at me. I squeak out as I trot down the stairs as quickly as I can and move towards the kitchen. I think I lost him on the way or maybe he went to the bathroom to take the braids out of his hair, I chuckle to myself evilly. 

I stop straight in my tracks as I suddenly notice Logan and Allison in, what looks to be, a heated conversation.

"What the fuck do you mean, Logan?" I hear Allison growl at him and I see her point her finger at him. He growls at her.

"I'm still your Alpha, you can't speak to me like that." He scolds her and I see her flinch.

"Yea, well you didn't mind me calling you Logan last night in bed! But now it matters?" She screeches. Now it's me flinching this time.

"ENOUGH!" His voice bellows and rings through the kitchen. I bite my lip in anticipation, still confused as to what is happening between them.

I watch as Allison quickly sits down, her wolf obviously threatened by her Alpha.

Logan's muscular back moves up and down as he heaves in frustration. He takes a deep breath before he speaks again.

"You heard me the first time. I-I can't do this anymore, Allison." He tells her and I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. I see Allison's fist clench.

"Why? What can I not give you? Why won't you be with, why the fuck is it so hard all of a sudden?" She screams once again and I chuckle at how crazed her expression is. Good catch, Logan.

"BECAUSE I HAVE A FUCKING MATE AND SHE IS ALL I CAN THINK ABOUT!" He slams his fist on the table and I hear a crack. She gasps loudly, obviously shocked by his outburst. 

"I cannot be with you, when every time we do anything, I think about Dakota. Alright? Are you fucking satisfied?" He spits out at her and her bottom lip wobbles. My heart races a million miles per hour and I bite my lip. Emotions flood through my body, but I'm more shocked than anything.

My wolf smiles in happiness and howls in glee. He thinks about me?

I can sense the tension in the kitchen from metres away as the two stare at each other. I watch as Allison silently storms off and Logan relaxes his tensed up back. He lets out a sigh and scratches the back of his head.

With that, I quickly turn on my heel to avoid getting caught snitching on Logan. I wonder through the house for a bit, watching as pups run around, playing games.

I turn my head to look outside the window of a random play room I had just walked into and run straight into a hard chest, falling back on my butt.

"Ouch!" I squeak as I land on the ground. I rub my butt as it becomes sore form the hit. I look up to see who I had ran into, and I let my eyes soak in the image of a flustered looking Logan.  

"Um...hi." HIs eyes dark around the room as he offers a hand to help me up from the ground. I tenderly place my hand in his rough one, revelling in the tingles that shoot up my arm. I stand on my feet and look up at him.

"Hey." I whisper out.

"I need to tell you something." He says slowly and I roll my eyes at him.

"Spit it out." I growl at him playfully and a sexy smirk plasters across his face at my tone.

"Well now I don't really want to!" He smiles and I glare at him, with a scoff.

"Tell me!" I whine. He lets out a sigh and narrows his eyes at me.

"I'm not seeing Allison anymore." He lets out as his eyes change from playful to serious, and he takes a large step towards me. 

I nod at him slowly. Even though I had seen the encounter between them, it still felt raw to hear that my mate was finally single.

"Are you okay?" I ask him while I play the end of my hoodie sleeves anxiously. I'm sure he would stay with her if he wanted but he has a physical barrier. Me.

He chews his lip anxiously and my eyes immediately dart there. I hold back a groan at the sight of his undeniable attractiveness. 

"I'm perfectly fine, if I'm honest with you." He responds and my body relaxes and relief floods my mind. I offer him a weak smile and a light shrug, unsure of what to say. "You're my mate and it's time that I start treating you like it. I royally fucked up, I-I can't tell you how much I regret it. I tried to be with Allison, I tried to love her but I couldn't. I couldn't because just down the hall was my beautiful, kind, selfless mate, yet right infront of me I chose to be with a selfish, materialistic and rude person." 

He takes a step closer to me and I stay frozen in my spot while I take a sharp intake of breath from our close proximity. Our chests touch and I feel my knees go slightly weak. 

Without a single word, Logan moves impossibly closer to me until our bodies are pressed flush against each other. His piercing stare makes me squirm in my spot as my body heats up. I look at him, trying to maintain a bit of confidence. The silence is deafening as we just stare at each other, unsure of what say I shut my lips tightly together.

My breaths become shallow when his hands slowly move to my waist. My body immediately welcomes his touch and I lean further into him. I cautiously place my hands on his shoulder and his head dips down to my neck. 

This is what I've needed. I've craved Logan, his touch, his scent. Him. And I deserve to have my mate for the first time in forever. 

I place my head in the crook of neck, inhaling his delicious woodsy scent. He lets out a low, possessive growl and his arms tighten around my waist as he digs his nose in my hair.

"I am so sorry, I am so so sorry, Dakota." His voice croaks out as desperation leeks through his tone. My throat closes up, and I don't know if I can for sure tell him that I forgive him, because I don't know myself if I forgive him.

And so I stay silent, but I stay close to him, revelling in the touch of my mate. 

This is enough.