Frodo

"Ok," you thought to yourself, "tonight is definitely the night."

It was Frodo's (as well as Bilbo's) birthday today and tonight they were having a massive party. Since you knew you weren't getting any younger, you decided tonight was the night to confess to Frodo how you felt about him. Even if he didn't feel the same way.

For as long as you can remember, Frodo has always been there for you. You both were playmates in your earlier years, and he has been your best friend for a long time. Somewhere along the way, you fell in love. He wasn't like other Hobbits, he actually looked for adventure, and didn't care what others thought about him. For this reason, a lot of people found him and Bilbo weird, and un-Hobbit like. But not you, you admired their spirit, and even craved adventure and the unknown yourself.

So you smoothed out your beautiful blue cotton dress, and stepped into the delicious night air. The sound of crickets and cicadas serenaded you as you walked along the path. The cool dirt beneath your bare feet gave you courage to go through with your crazy plan.

Soon enough you could hear the music, and a lot of laughter. The sight of the party tree made you smile. Many, many happy memories have been made under that dear old tree. Twinkling lights hung over your head as you searched the sea of faces for Rosie, Sam, and Frodo.

Suddenly, stricken from your haze, you noticed a smiling Bilbo standing in front of you.

"Well hello there (Y/N/H)! I'm very pleased you could make it!" he proclaimed cheerily.

"Hello Bilbo, and I wouldn't miss it for the world. Happy Birthday!" you replied.

He chuckled and shook his head. "Well thank you, but I'm certain this'll be the happiest one yet," he dictated mysteriously, yet with a twinkle in his wise old eyes, "maybe even the most intriguing."

You cocked your head slightly at his weird statement, but smiled anyways. "Whatever it may be, I am glad to be here."

He smiled and looked at you knowingly. "I'm sure you are, and he'll be glad you're here too." You blushed as he continued. "Anyways, don't let this old Hobbit hold you back, you'll find your friends by the dance floor."

"Thank you, Bilbo. For that, and for being like a father to me for all these years."

A suddenly sad look came upon him. "Do not mention it, it has been my pleasure dear (Y/N/H)."

You smiled with a hint of sadness. "See you later, Bilbo."

He didn't reply, but instead walked off with that saddened look on his face. Not knowing the reason, you shrugged it off and continued on to the dance floor.

Once there, you found Rosie coming towards you.

"Hey there lass! Glad you could finally join us!" she spoke excitedly.

"Hi Rosie, I'm glad I could join too," you replied meekly.

A knowing look came over her round pretty face. Geez, did everybody know your secret?

"Are you going to finally confess?" she questioned anxiously.

You sighed and fiddled with your pockets. "Yes, but I'm afraid. What if he doesn't feel the same way? What if he laughs in my face?"