1

LOUIS

The bright yellow sun kisses the hills good morning, creating a orangish pink glow throughout the sky. Not many cars are out today, thank God. The cars always ruin the sunrises with their pollution or whatever. It really is a beautiful sight.

"Daddy? What kind of cereal do you have?"

I look to my son who's playing with his bowl of cocoa pops. Milk splashes everywhere as he slaps the spoon against the liquid. "Oi, what the hell are ya doin'? You better not waste that,"

Cocoa Pops aren't sold enough to be wasted. He couldn't just want his own cereal. But was I going to deny him? Those big doey eyes? No. So I gave in and gave him some. Luckily, I was smart enough to put down some newspaper so we wouldn't get ants if he decided to spill his bowl everywhere.

His small giggles catch my thoughts. His tiny chubby hands cover his mouth, eyes brighter than the now fully ascended sun.

"What are you laughin' at?" I find myself chuckling.

"Daddy said swear words! Daddy said hell!"

My eyes go wide at what I've done. I should really watch my mouth. What if he pulls something like that in public? People would think I'm a bad father. "I know buddy. And that's very very bad. Don't ever say it, alright?"

He nods, spooning some cereal in his mouth, watching the birds at his feet fight over a single cocoa pop that rolled away. It's amusing to watch at first, but the chirping gets to you. I kick my foot at them, scaring them away. I snort to myself, always amused at how easily animals scare.

I lift my own spoonful of cereal to my mouth and immediately regret it when I'm sinking my teeth into cocoa mush. Throwing my spoon down on my bowl, I let out a sigh. "Dammit,"

My mood isn't too ruined. I'd rather take mushy cereal in addition to my beautiful, peaceful morning with my favorite lad, than to be under the watch of a creep who puts me and my son in danger. Things have really turned around for us, thank God.

"No swearing daddy!" Freddie yells.

He's already made his way into our apartment, running wildly with his empty bowl on his head. I shake my head, a smile creeping upon my face. Silly boy, always giving me a hard time when it's time for a bath. He can't help it though. He gets it from me.

Official first chapter! How'd you like it? The mystery begins already 😈

J.