3

LOUIS

I groan as I try to stay awake enough to keep an eye on Freddie. Poor lad had a small asthma attack from laughing too long and hard with Liam. Deciding to smoke a cigarette, I pull one from the pack sitting on the nightstand. I flick the lighter as soft as I can to ignite my cigarette without waking him, but he starts coughing immediately from the smoke.

"Daddy, no sticks," he mumbles sleepily.

"Alright buddy, I'm just making sure you okay. Goodnight, lad." I kiss his cheek softly, holding my cigarette away from him then turn off the light as I shut the door to the bedroom.

Entering the kitchen, I see Liam sitting at the table with his head in his hands. Shouldn't he be sleep? "Li, what are you doing up?" I sit next to him, dumping my cigarette into his ashtray.

"Just a bit shaken up, I guess."

I knock his shoulder with mine. "S'alright. I had it under control,"

I don't want him to worry ever. For all he's done for us, the least I could do is give him a free mind. He's been with me ever since I could remember and he's helped me through the worst time of my life. I'm ever so grateful for Liam and I hope he knows that.

He shrugs, taking a hit of his own cigarette and leaning back in the chair. "I know. I just worry about you. Living alone so far from everyone, really."

I roll my eyes knowing he's about to go into protective mode. It's nice to know that Liam genuinely cares, but he lectures me like clockwork. I shake my head, trying to dismiss the subject nicely.

"Li, I know—"

"No, I don't think you do Louis. It's important to me to know you guys are safe. You don't just show up here for the hell of it," He glares at me, stubbing out his cigarette.

He can't possibly think something is up. I mean, there is, but I haven't let anything show. I could totally be here for a visit. Can't I? "I did. We are here for the hell of it."

He gives me a disbelieving look in which a chuckle follows after. "Sunshine, don't lie to me. I don't care if you don't visit me, but we both know very well that something happened. So tell me."

My heart jumps a beat at the nickname. He only sweet talks me when he wants to get something out of me or he's trying to butter me up. But does he know?

I clear my throat, fiddling with my burning cigarette. Should I tell him? I just don't want to get him involved anymore. After a moment of mental debating, I involuntarily blurt it out. "He taped a note to my door,"

His eyes widen and I shudder at the mere thought of him.

Liam is silent for far too long which is starting to worry me but I'm not going to disrupt the silence. I know better.

But what he does do is stand up. His actions are rigid and stiff, making me frown. Sometimes I feel like he's a robot. "Time for bed. Let's go,"

"What?"

He turns around, giving me the look of 'you heard me' and I did, loud and clear, so I follow him up the stairs.

"We'll figure this out in the morning. You'll be alright, sunshine. Take as long as you need. Goodnight." He kisses my forehead and I hold back the random urge to kiss his lips.

"Okay, goodnight, Li."

-

"Daddy, daddy wake up! LiLi made cakes!"