5. Our Friend the Ocean

"Ever rode a dragon?" Hiccup asked Moana as she scratched Toothless under the chin.

Hiccup had decided to give the young chieftess and demigod a tour of the village and made a stop at the dragon training academy to show them what dragon training was like. He couldn't help but smile when he watched the young adult's eyes go wide with wonder at the sight of the different dragons. Even the demigod was impressed and had attempted transforming himself into each of those dragons, only to get some part of them wrong and have that part replaced with a different animal's.

"Well no, the only time I've ever flew was on Maui's back and that was....seven months ago." Moana replied.

"I could give you a tour of the island princess." Snotlout suggested and gave her another 'handsome' smile.

"This guy is worst than that one chief's son who tried to cook Pua." Moana muttered before turning to Astrid. "So where's the guy you said I could get along with? I'd at least like to meet him before Maui and I leave."

"Getting curious now huh?" Astrid asked teasingly as Moana rolled her eyes and laughed. "He's on a trip but should be back any day now."

"I bet my poor Eret son of Eret misses me!" Ruffnut sighed and draped herself over her dragon's neck.

"No I bet he's enjoying every second he is away from you sis." Tuffnut said from his spot on top of his dragon's neck. Ruffnut stuck her tongue out at him before looking back at Moana.

"Well would you like to ride one? A dragon that is and it could be one of ours too if you want."

"Uh no, I prefer to keep my feet on the ground. Right where they belong." Moana said pointing to the floor.

"Don't be ridiculous curly, flying is great!" Maui interjected. "When I'm not sailing, I'm flying high in the sky!"

"Well I like the floor, especially the sand, sand is squishy." Moana said giving him a goofy grin.

"Then I bet you'll like the dragon we call a Sand Wraith!" Snotlout said enthusiastically. "Or perhaps a water dragon like a Sea Shocker or a Shockjaw?"

"Those sound very dangerous." Moana said cringing. "Why would you even get close to something like that or give it a name like that?"

"Would you like to see?" Tuffnut asked her eagerly.

"Tuff!" Hiccup yelled.

"They're just big electrical water dragons, no need to be afraid of them." Ruffnut said with a shrug. "But once you tame it or show that you are no threat, it's just a big softie. In fact that's how all dragons are."

"And I learned that the hard way when a certain blue Nadder landed on my back!" An unfamiliar voice said.

Ruffnut gave a squeal and Tuffnut shot her a look as a muscular man with a large green and red dragon that looked like a beetle walked into the arena. The other dragons roared or squawked hello to the horned dragon as it approached them with it's rider.

"So you must be Eret I assume?" Maui asked as they gathered around the man.

"The one and only." The man said and chuckled. "And you are?"

"Maui," Maui said with a nod and shoved Moana forward. "And this is your future wife Moana Waialiki."

"I am most certainly not!" Moana snapped, feeling her cheeks burn. "Maui is being a big dope and doesn't know what he's talking about."

"Sounds like he does." Eret said giving Maui a puzzled look before turning his attention to Hiccup. "Well I managed to talk a few dragon trapping groups out of doing anymore dragon wrangling for Drago since he is no longer building an army."

"That's great to hear!" Hiccup said beaming happily.

"Wait dragon army? Why would anyone want a dragon army?" Moana asked looking horrified.

"It's asked long story, but there definitely won't be one, I can assure you that." Eret said giving her an apologetic smile. "You and your big friend aren't from around here huh?"

"Too obvious." Maui said shaking his head. "We've never seen anything or anyone like this before. Heck we practically live miles away from this place!"

"And we still don't know why we were asked to come here." Moana added. "This is one of those times I wish that the ocean would talk or at least give us a hint."

"The ocean told you to come?" Astrid asked in disbelief. "That's crazy!"

"It's not! In fact the ocean had chosen me seventeen years ago to take the heart of Tefiti and restore it when I became much older." Moana retorted, folding her arms over her chest. "The ocean is a friend of ours and it led us to this place."

"Can you prove it?" Fishlegs asked. "We believe that you did meet a goddess but the part of the ocean is a little hard to believe."

"Goddess?" Eret asked looking at Moana in confusion.

"Tefiti, the mother of all." Maui explained. "Come on, we'll show you our little aquatic friend."

The two voyagers let the Vikings lead them to the beach where it was secluded from the village. The dragons had began rolling and kicking up some sand and playfully splashing their riders with water.

"Well let's see it." Astrid said gesturing to the crystal clear waters.

Moana looked to Maui who gave her a thumbs up and an encouraging nod before she turned her attention to the sea.

"Ocean! Part for us!" Moana yelled.

The gang watched the waters, expecting something to happen. Yet nothing did. Frowning, Moana unclasped her grandmother's shell necklace before throwing it as far as she could into the water.

"Ocean? Can you please show these guys that you can respond?" Moana called again, praying that the ocean would respond.

Suddenly, the waters parted to reveal the shell necklace a few yards from the dry beach. The Vikings gasped and backed up in alarm while their dragons gave startled squeals or leapt in front of their riders to protect them.

"Relax, it's friendly." Maui assured them. "The worst it could do is spray you in the face or launch you into the air with full force."

They watched as Moana walked forward to retrieve her necklace and ealk back to them. As the waters closed behind her, a large wave came close to the shore and remained there. Toothless gave a curious grunt before walking to the wave and sniffed it.

"Toothless be careful!" Hiccup called.

"Relax the ocean won't hurt it." Moana said. The dragon touched the water with his nose and snorted in alarm when some water dripped into his nostrils and sneezed. "See? What did I show you?"

"Wayfinders one, Vikings zero." Maui murmured to himself as his tattoo pulled down a tally chart and made a scratch. "Man do I love it when I'm right."