13. In Trouble And Danger

"Haha! I'm getting the hang of this!" Moana cheered as she surfed along the waves. "This is awesome!" Kai and Tide both screeched happily as they propelled themselves through the water swiftly but taking care not to throw Moana off.

"Looks like you don't even need a saddle!" Ruffnut yelled from the beach. "And that's good 'cause your butt won't be sore!"

Moana rode her dragon back to the beach where the twins were waiting and hopped off onto the shallow waters. Kai and Tide screeched and rubbed their heads gently against legs. Moana chuckled and pulled out two dried fish from a small pack she kept tied around her waist before tossing them to the two headed dragon.

"You're getting good at dragon riding." Tuffnut noted and handed Moana back her boots. "It took us quite a while to learn how to ride our dragons so well."

"I'm just a fast learner." Moana replied and walked up to the dry sand to put her boots on.

"It's been two weeks and Maui still isn't back yet." Ruffnut said casting a frown at the sky. "How long does it even take to go to an island and check up on it?"

"Maybe he had to stay and help a tribe?" Moana suggested.

"Or maybe he got eaten by a sea monster!" Tuffnut exclaimed and looked at Moana puzzled. "Do you guys have sea monsters?"

"Well we do have monsters like that live in a realm located under the sea." Moana answered.

"Moana!" The trio looked up to see Astrid and Stormfly circling above and dove down towards them.

"What's wrong?" Moana asked hurrying over to the Nadder.

"It's Maui, he's returned!" Astrid answered. "Eret found him while he was out fishing but he's not looking good!"

"Take me to him!" Moana ordered, climbing onto Stormfly and seated herself behind Astrid. "And hurry!"

The four managed to reach Gothi's hut in time to see Gobber stepping out. As soon as Stormfly's talons touched the floor, Moana jumped right off and ran past the blacksmith and into the hut.

"How is he?" Tuffnut asked.

"Pretty banged up, bruised and scratched up in a lot of places but he'll survive." Gobber answered and looked back into the hut. The young chief was kneeling by the bed and clutching her friend's hand tightly. "He's unconscious but should be regaining it again in a few hours."

"What could have happened to him?" Ruffnut asked.

"Eret found him floating in the ocean in shark form so he must have been attacked out in sea." Astrid answered. "Let's just hope he remembers what happened to him."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Within two days Maui had woken up and demanded to see Moana and the dragon riders. As soon as they had all gathered inside and outside the hut, the demigod began to speak.

"I had flown south of Berk for a few miles before finding that weird fog that brought us here. Once I flew into it and moments later I emerged close to those islands we had recently mapped." The demigod said as Moana pressed a flask of water into his hands to drink. "Like Turtle island and the one that looked like a fist, and I saw the strangest thing."

"What was it?" Hiccup asked.

"A whole fleet of ships, the sort of ships from where we come from, and a lot of the people on them were chanting something about a sacrifice." Maui answered and gave a shudder. "I transformed into a shark and followed them for a few days to listen to whatever they were saying and what I heard got me worried."