14.0

POISON

Daria continued to stare at the door that her mate had rushed out of hurriedly. She knew nothing about him. The withheld information made it pointless for her to find a way to contact her pack, as even if they did happen to trace the call, they would be blindsided by what they were fighting against.

Her stomach was aching and she groaned, lying down on her stomach with the chain pressing into her thighs. She also felt amother small object below her which she identified as Roman's cell phone.

She swiped her finger across the screen, a light "ping" that was heard as it unlocked. She was throughly invested in the game, so much so that she didn't realise that a few hours had passed.

The ache in her belly which had transformed into strong hunger pangs made her aware of the fact that Roman hadn't brought her a meal.

'Where is he.' She wondered out loud.

'Are you talking about me?' Roman smiled, walking in a spring in his step.

'You look happy.' Daria raised her eyebrows.

'That's because I am.' He flashed his set of thirty-two teeth.

'Why?'

'Do I need a reason?' His happiness was scaring Daria, who had never seen him in such a cheery state.

'No.' She frowned.

'Come on, don't frown, I'm sort of the only connection you have to the world outside.' He commented.

'Don't you think that I know that?' Daria scowled. 'How long can he keep me locked away, a month, a year?'

Roman shrugged in response to the question. Didn't seem like anybody had a clue as to what was going on in their beloved Alpha's head. For the rest of the pack members it was an even greater mystery, why was a strange, apparently dangerous woman living in the pack house instead of the criminal jail?

'Can you atleast get me something to eat?'

***

By the time Roman arrived with her food, she was ready to eat a whole herd of deer. Her stomach had been empty since the previous night, so as soon as he set the plate of boiled vegetables and chicken in front of her face she dug in without a second thought.

She felt a slight itch build up at the back of her throat. It was somewhere between that and a subtle burn, but she couldn't differentiate very well.

'I can't breathe.' She clawed her throat, the slight itch at the back of the throat felt like scales to Daria, her body shook violently once and her whole face was scrunched up in pain and confusion.

'Is there anything you're allergic to?' He asked, panicking. She shook her head in a "no".

'Daria! Can you hear me?' She could feel Roman's hands on her back and his soothing voice was trying to calm her down. He rubbed her back in rapid movements, trying to give her any sort of comfort. 'Shit.' He cursed under his breath.

He was trying to contact his Alpha, attain his permission to take her to the medical care centre, but he was unreachable. His mind link was blocked off to everyone, and it couldn't have been at a worse timing.

'I can't-' She broke off coughing. Roman made her sit straight and looked at the barely touched plate of food, he was confident that his Alpha couldn't do something like this to his own mate, but the slight seed of doubt had been planted by Daria's paranoia.

'Daria, can you understand what I'm saying?' She groaned in reply, coughing again.

'I need you to vomit everything that you've eaten.' She didn't say anything, but helped her to take support against the wall.

'I'm not feeling well, I'm going do die.' She gasped, her eyes shiny because of the presence of unshed tears.

'Nothing is going to happen to you, if it's poison of the human kind, then it will only affect you for a small amount of time.' He explained, unsure of whether she was in a state to comprehend his words. 'Now put a finger at the back of your throat, and prod around.'

She lifted her hand towards her mouth weakly, and attempted to do what was told to her. Seeing her pitiful state, Roman guided her patiently, and he could almost hear her gut wrench.

The taste of bile had overtaken the flavour of the food on her tongue, and Daria felt almost an instant relief. She was still taking heavy breaths, but Roman was happy that she seemed put if danger.

He sat next to her and caressed her forehead slowly, pushing back the few and far curly strands that had settled onto her temple.

'Water.' Daria requested.

'I'll go get a bottle.' He left and returned within a few minutes. She thanked him and sipped on the cool liquid.

'Thank you.'

'Did it start after you ate the food?'

'Yes.' She was scared, if she could poisoned once, it could happen again and again, if their was to kill her it wouldn't be very difficult.

She closed her eyes. Roman laid her down gently and propped a pillow which Daria hadn't noticed being brought in, under her head.

'Sleep darling, rest your body.' He whispered. He pressed a soft kiss at her forehead and took a step back, observing her form.

'You don't deserve this Daria, I'll talk to Alpha Emerson.' He said, still whispering.

He wanted to leave the room with an angry stride, his heart was weak, it often fell before people that couldn't pick it up. He paced the room nervous for the girl he cared for, he knew that ideally he shouldn't have had an inkling of any emotions towards her, but he was too far in.

______|||______

A special surprise awaits for all of you, so stay tuned and don't forget to check for an update on the coming Tuesday :)

Random Fact: The timeline of this book is set before The Alpha's Little Rogue, my other werewolf book.