CHAPTER IV: AUGMENTATION

SAGE Agent First Class Vincent Reed lugged his lean fifty-two year old frame up the service stairs in pursuit of two younger men in ill-fitting black suits. He wore his trademark black leather jacket, white shirt, faded blue jeans and navy blue Doc Martens. Holding a pistol in his right hand, the agent pushed himself some more to get closer to the suspects, never mind that his legs ached and his lungs begged for air.

As he gained on them, one of the suits turned around and fired at him. Vincent leaned on the wall and dodged the bullets.

The suspects opened the door to the rooftop and ran to the helipad where a whirring chopper awaited. Vincent fired wildly at the men as he chased after them. The suspects boarded the aircraft and slid the door closed.

Vincent was still several yards away when the helicopter lifted from the ground. He grimaced and gave his all in one big final sprint. Six feet away, the chopper was right above his head. He jumped and grabbed the chopper's landing skids with both hands. The sight of his pistol dropping to the street below gave him a queasy feeling in his stomach.

The helicopter ascended a few more yards and glided across the New York City skyline. Vincent's neatly cut soft blonde hair blew wildly as he hung on the skids. He didn't hear his phone ring because of the ear-splitting rumble of the chopper, but felt it vibrating in his jacket's breast pocket.

Great. Perfect timing, as usual.

The phone kept on vibrating.

Oh, well, could be worse. At least I'm not in the bathroom.

He took his right hand off the skid, grabbed his phone, slid his thumb across its screen and pressed it against his ear.

"Hello?" he said, as the helicopter flew above the Empire State Building.

A familiar voice spoke on the other line. "Hello, Agent Reed? This is Castle. There is a matter that--"

"Ummm, sir? Can I call you back? I'm kind of in the middle of something."

"Oh, right. Of course, and when should I expect your call?

"Ummm," Vincent said, surveying the surroundings. "Maybe around, say, five to fifteen minutes?"

"Well, which is it? Five or fifteen?"

"Make it ten minutes."

"You better make sure because I'm heading to--"

"Sir, I'm dangling from a helicopter, I really have to go."

"Oh, goodness gracious, why didn't you say so? Carry on, then. Call me when you're done."

Vincent cursed under his breath and pocketed his phone. He gripped the skid with both hands and pulled himself up. He rested his left foot on the skid and slid the door open. The taller of the two suits punched him in the face and sent him tumbling out. He grabbed the skid with both hands and hung on for dear life. The tall man extended himself from the aircraft and repeatedly kicked Vincent's knuckles. He grabbed the suspect's leg and tugged. The tall man flung from the chopper upside down and wailed in terror.

They hovered twenty five feet from the top of a building. Vincent let go of the skid, sending him and the suspect tumbling down the rooftop. The tall man stood up and grabbed Vincent by the collar. He punched the agent in the face several times then kicked him in the gut. Vincent fell to the ground.

The tall man looked at the chopper, buzzing idly in front of him. "Don't just float there, shoot him, you idiots!"

The second suspect and the pilot fired at Vincent. The agent deftly rolled away from the gunfire, stood up and ran for cover behind a large industrial fan. He pulled up the left hem of his jeans and pulled out a small pistol holstered above his boots.