CHAPTER XV: COMMISERATION

"Smart lad, to slip betimes away, from fields where glory does not stay and early though the laurel grows, it withers quicker than the rose."

The priest read from his book in front of around a hundred people who have gathered at the Manila North Cemetery on a rainy Friday morning. Beside the minister was a white coffin and a portrait of Dante Chavez beside it.

"Now you will not swell the rout of lads that wore their honors out, runners whom renown outran, and the name died before the man."

Sonia sobbed throughout the ceremony, holding hands with Meerna. Rayah stood behind her, wearing a black dress draped with a white blazer. Flanking her were Jinky, Rage, Exo, Otis and Celso.

"And round that early-laurelled head will flock to gaze the strengthless dead and find unwithered on its curls, the garland briefer than a girl's."

After the funeral, Rayah and her friends walked to the parking lot, somber and forlorn.

"Rayah?"

They turned and saw Sonia walking after them.

"Go ahead, guys," Rayah said. "I'll catch up."

Sonia smiled. "How're you holding up?"

"I'm fine, don't worry about me. How are you holding up?"

"Not so well. I still can't believe he's gone, I'm still waiting for someone to give me a shake so I can wake up from this terrible dream." Sonia broke down.

Rayah hugged her. The grieving mother's sobs made Rayah cry as well.

"I know," Rayah said. "I want to wake up from this nightmare, too."

Sonia held Rayah's arms. "At least he got the chance to meet and love somebody as special as you before he passed."

"No, I'm the lucky one, lucky to have met someone as loving and caring and wonderful as your son, and I miss him so much."

Sonia wiped her cheeks. "I miss him, too."

Rayah parked her Audi A1 in front of her house.

Sergio Reyes sipped iced tea on the porch. "Good afternoon, young lady."

Rayah locked her car and walked to the front door. "Hi, Sergio."

"How did it go?"

"It was okay. Sad, like any funeral."

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"You got visitors."

"Really? Who?"

"Go inside and see."

She opened the front door and saw Merlyn entertaining Benjamin Castle III and Dr. Georgia Winters. They all stood up.

"Schmucks, am I in trouble?"

"Not at all, Agent Reyes," Castle said. "We're just here to extend our deepest sympathies for your terrible loss, in behalf of the agency."

"Oh, thank you, sir."

Georgia gave her a hug. "I'm so sorry, honey."

"I can't believe you're both here." Rayah wiped her tears. "This is an unexpected honor, I really appreciate it."

"You're part of the SAGE family now," Castle said. "In good times and bad, we'll always be here for you."

Merlyn waved. "Come, let's go to the dining room, I've prepared coffee and biscuits."