CHAPTER IX: EXPERIMENTATION

Rage, Jinky and Rayah arrived at the party around ten in the evening, dressed as Katy Perry, Catwoman and Lara Croft respectively.

Rayah sported double braids, a tight black top, twelve hole black Doc Martens and brown short shorts, complete with toy pistols in holsters.

Jinky wore a Catwoman costume that Exo borrowed for her from the wardrobe room of the theater department.

Rage got the most cheers when they saw her donning a blue wig and a white one piece bikini with multi-colored plastic balls glued all around it.

Celso Merino's house wasn't a mansion but it was lavishly designed and big enough to comfortably accommodate his sixty-plus guests.

Rayah looked around, hoping to find any of the college party staples she saw in the movies like beer bongs, ledge dancing and drinking games.

She didn't see any.

What she saw were clumps of people in cool costumes chatting, laughing and drinking beer from white plastic cups. A vinyl record of El Camino by The Black Keys spun on a vintage turntable and blasted from two towering floor speakers.

She saw a group of four singing a Snow Patrol song, one of them playing an acoustic guitar.

Some couples were getting frisky in the far corners.

"Hey, over here," Exo called out to the girls. He had his whole body painted in gold and wore briefs of the same shade. The girls smiled and went to him.

"Exo," Jinky said. "You look absolutely golden. Who are you supposed to be again?"

"I'm the Oscar trophy, see?" Exo said, mimicking the posture of the Academy Award statuette.

The girls laughed.

Rage kissed him. "You never cease to amaze me, baby."

Exo grabbed the short, chubby young man dressed as Superman beside him. "Celso, this is my girl, Rage."

Celso smiled at her. "Hi."

"Happy birthday," Rage said and gave him a bottle of Jose Cuervo Tequila.

Celso took it. "Thanks."

Exo pointed to the two other girls. "This here's Jinky, and this is Rayah, they're mass com students."

"Happy birthday," Rayah said.

Jinky raised her fist. "Great party."

"Thanks, you guys have fun, okay? I'm gonna add this to the booze supply."

Celso went to the kitchen.

Exo put his arms around Jinky and Rayah. "What did I tell you? The man knows how to throw a party, eh?"

"Yeah," Jinky said. "Totally rocks. How do you know this big shot anyway?"

"He's my brother's friend, a junior." Exo took Rage's hand and shouted at the three, "Come on, let's get our minds blown."

Rayah, Jinky, Rage and Exo partied the night away. They ate, drank, laughed, danced and sang as the alcohol flowed and the music pounded.

It was around midnight when Rayah, eyes half open, went to the kitchen to get more beer. She fumbled in front of the center counter and struggled to work the keg.

A long haired, square jawed young man with kind eyes dressed as the Lone Ranger saw her having a hard time and went to her.

"Need some help with that?" he asked.