Chapter 2: Emma

Six-year-old Emma Swan ran across the room of her thatched-roof home and jumped up on her father's lap as he sat by a roaring fire, warming himself after a long day of tending the sheep on the farm his family had managed for multiple generations. Colliding directly with his abdomen, David Swan clutched his stomach as his daughter laughed, seeming to thoroughly enjoy the sight of her father in pain caused by her actions.

"Well hello to you, too," David remarked, rubbing his daughter's head and effectively messing up the meticulous blonde braids her mother had spent so long ensuring would stay intact throughout the day. Emma just giggled up at her father, pushing his hand away, while David snuck his other hand around and tickled Emma's ribs, causing her to squeal with delight.

"Daddy!" David just laughed and wrapped his arms around his daughter tightly. When they parted, they heard someone enter the room, and both father and daughter looked up to see Mary Margaret, David's wife and Emma's mother, walk in from the outdoors.

"The two of you are making such a noise! I could hear you clear from the other side of the barn," she remarked, smiling at her husband and daughter, who both returned her look with bright smiles.

"She started it!" David yelped, rubbing his stomach once again as he remembered the onslaught of force from Emma a few minutes earlier.

"I gave Daddy a stomachache," Emma remarked, giggling again at her own antics. Mary Margaret raised an eyebrow at her daughter and grinned at her family.

"I see," she started. "And did Daddy do that to your hair in retaliation?" Mary Margaret asked, motioning to the mess of blonde curls that made up Emma's hair. Emma looked at her quizzically.

"What's 'ree-tal-A-shun'?" Both David and Mary Margaret smiled jovially at Emma's attempt to understand the new word.

"Retaliation, my girl," Mary Margaret reiterated.

"It means to get back at me!" David remarked, and went back to attacking his young daughter with ticklish fingers to her ribs. Emma roared with laughter once more, and it rang out throughout their small house. Mary Margaret shook her head and turned towards the kitchen, a smile playing across her lips as she listened to her family giggle.

After a few moments, David and Emma calmed themselves and set about discussing their day. David learned all about Emma's busy morning of searching for bugs in the flower beds and moving them into the pasture so her flowers wouldn't get eaten, and how she had helped Mary Margaret with hanging up their clothes to dry from the wash. David looked at her skeptically when Emma told him she had hung two of his shirts all by herself.

"It's true, David," Mary Margaret said from the other side of the room. "She hung them all by herself while she stood atop the very chair you sit in now." Mary Margaret smiled at David, and he returned the sentiment, understanding etched in his eyes. He then turned his gaze back to his daughter.

"Well while you were out protecting the flowers and helping your mother with the chores, I got you a present." Emma's eyes went wide with excitement and David mimicked her expression as she leapt off his lap and danced around him, begging him to show her the newfound treasure he had tucked away.

"What is it, Daddy?" Emma pressed. She began to pull on his arm, hoping that would entice him to reveal the surprise sooner. David let go of his daughter's hands and turned his back to her as he fetched something from behind the chair. Emma waited patiently at his side, having trouble standing still as the thrill of her new gift pulsed through her tiny body.

With a sudden movement, David whipped back around and presented a beautifully carved piece of wood and handed it to Emma. But when Emma grabbed it from him, she had absolutely no idea what it was supposed to be.